[SSC] Blogging and commenting

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Fri Apr 1 08:13:39 UTC 2011

On 31/03/11 22:28, David Young wrote:
> A couple of ideas I've had recently about the way we as a group could
> open some of our discussions beyond this list:
>
> One is: would anyone object if someone (could be me) published all of
> the notes from meetings on the SSC blog? I think it would be a good
> example to conduct our "business" in public. I realise anyone can in
> practice join this list but to me it feels a bit removed from the
> totally public and searchable blog. What do others think?

I've no objection. I'll send you the login details. I thought that the
discussion list archives were being indexed by search engines, but a
quick search doesn't show anything. As you know, I've tried hard in the
past to conduct the business of different projects I'm involved in with
a great deal of transparency but I'm less of the opinion these days that
we have to advertise the fact. That is, I'm less interested in wearing
'transparency' on my sleeve all the time.

It could be useful in this early phase to be blogging meeting notes, but
if people are genuinely interested in the SSC, I'd hope that they'd be
willing to click through to look at the discussions taking place here.

> Second is: it strikes me that the Commentpress/digress.it
> <http://digress.it> model (a plugin which allows people to comment on a
> paragraph by paragraph basis online - see JISCPress
> <http://jiscpress.org/> for an example) might be good for commenting on
> documents such as the constitution or business plan. Is this possible or
> too much work? Would people engage with this or do you prefer to offer
> comments by email?

Heh :-) Funny, I'd not thought of using that tool (which I helped
develop). It would be suitable for the constitution and business plan, I
think. I could put them up on htt://digress.it

I'll do it soon if no-one has any objections.

Joss