[SSC] Membership types and contributions

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Sun Feb 27 12:19:32 UTC 2011

One of the things we discussed for some time in the pub after the
meeting on Thursday is the need to decide what types of membership there
will be at the SSC and how much we hope/expect people to contribute.

Let's use this discussion thread to work that out. One question that I
think Mike raised was that we might first ask what do we need the money for?

As for membership types, these might be academic, student, general
supporter, etc. or we might not distinguish between these at all.

As for the amount of contribution, Mike (a Professor), thought it
reasonable to ask that other Profs. contribute between £300-£500/year or
roughly £30+ /month.

I think the general agreement at the pub (outside of the formal meeting
when some people were no longer present) was that people should
self-assess their income and pay a fee that was matched to an income
category roughly in line with what Profs. Snr. Lecturers and Lecturers
(and possibly one more level) are earning. Low wage and unemployed would
pay nothing.

So, what do you think about all of this? Please send your ideas to this
thread so we can come to a decision on this.

Thanks very much
Joss