[SSC] Membership form and payment set up

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Sat Jul 16 09:59:57 UTC 2011

On 16/07/2011 09:45, David Young wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looks good so far. Thanks Jennifer and Joss for putting lots of work in
> on this.
>
> Some quick comments/observations:
>
> 1. Monthly "subscription" options should reflect those in the guide
> spreadsheet as closely as possible. I understand there are limitations
> in Paypal, in which case I think we should modify the guidance
> spreadsheet to reflect these coarser distinctions.

Yes, it is possible to include all nineteen variations of contributions
on the spreadsheet but that results in a long list. Unfortunately,
there's no way for people to simply enter the amount they want to give
each month. Since individuals are ultimately determining what they pay,
they can choose a lower amount than what is ideally recommended if they
wish. The spreadsheet is just a guide. I've added a note to that effect.

> 2. Explanatory text re. Academic vs. Associate should clarify that
> academic includes "students" as well as "teachers".

OK. Done this.

> 3. Maybe it's because I'm browsing from a phone, but I couldn't see
> anywhere to choose Academic or Associate membership. An either or tick
> box choice would be sufficient I reckon.

I'd completely missed this out!

> 4. Do we need a sentence on there about what we're going to do with
> people's personal information? For example, do we sign them up to a
> newsletter or the blog or the mailing list? Do we need to reassure
> people that we aren't going to pass data on to any third parties? Is
> anyone on the list familiar with data protection requirements and what
> we need to do regarding this?

I've added something about data protection. We need to look into whether
we have to register with a data protection agency.

> 5. In "Contributing to the Centre" should we add something about
> visiting lectures as an example of one way Associate members might
> contribute, besides financially.

OK. Done.

> 6. I assume joining people get sent an automated response from Paypal
> about joining. Can we customise that response or can we set up our own
> auto email in addition to welcome people to the SSC?

I'll look into it. I'm new to this!

Joss