[SSC] Membership types and contributions

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Tue Mar 1 14:35:12 UTC 2011

On 01/03/11 14:17, Terry Wassall wrote:
> I agree that the finances must be sorted and secure as just about
> everything else will depend upon this. Living and working in Leeds it
> looks as if I will be a peripheral member and occasional participant
> at best, if there is such a category of involvement. Even so, I will
> happily make a cash contribution. The discussion taking place now and
> the eventual setting up and success of the Centre will be of great
> importance for the proliferation of other Centres in other locations.
> This is where my longer term interest and involvement might come to
> lie (short of moving to Lincoln when I retire!).  I would love to see
> something like this going on in Leeds or Bradford. Both have
> established and thriving Social Centres (The 1 in 12 Club in Bradford
> and the The Common Place in Leeds) and these may be good starting
> points for Social Science Centres offering a service to the existing
> Social Centre members and the immediate local communities. I will be
> happy to contribute financially to the Lincoln project as I would see
> it as an investment in the possible extension of the model elsewhere,
> regardless of whether I could contribute in other ways or not.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Terry

That's wonderful, Terry. Add your name to the tentative members list I
circulated last night (on Google docs)! This is very much the spirit of
what I hope we all create together. Just as we can draw from the
experiences of the Social Centre network and other co-operatively run
organisations, I hope that our experience can be a source of inspiration
and a rehearsal for similar Centres elsewhere. This discussion list, for
example, provides a useful public record and we should endeavour to
document our experience periodically through the SSC website.

Joss