[SSC] Fwd: Alternative HE model in Lincoln - A COOPERATIVE

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Wed May 4 19:11:06 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Below is an email (and attachments) from the Co-operative College, which
will be of interest to you.

Thanks to Sandie for contacting them. I imagine there might be a number
of events we can get involved in in the run up to the celebrations in
2012: not the Olympics but the UN International Year of Co-operatives!

-------------

Further to your recent email about the establishment of the Centre as a
not for profit co-operative, it could be useful to develop links with
other co-operative education initiatives underway.

I have attached details of some of the work we have led developing a
co-operative model for schools.

Already over 130 schools have converted to co-operative trusts, with
many more at the consultation stage. In addition we are now awaiting
final approval from the DfE on a co-operative model for converter
academies, and are aiming to have the first of these in place by September.

As a result of the success with those models, we are currently working
with Stockport College to develop a co-operative model for the FE
sector. This initiative is supported by the Cabinet Office New Mutuals
Pathfinder Programme.

We have also established links with many educational academics
interested in alternatives to the neo-liberal agenda in education, and
have attached a draft call for papers for a conference in planning as
part of the celebrations for 2012, the United Nations International Year
of Co-operatives. Would the new Centre liked to get linked in with this
growing network?

I look forward to hearing from you. It would be good if all of these
initiatives to provide a co-operative alternative throughout the
education system can work more closely together.

Mervyn