[SSC] teach-in

Terry Wassall T.Wassall at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 00:12:22 UTC 2011

Dear All

I've hesitated to get involved in this discussion for the same reason that I think others have alluded to; that email exchange is not always conducive to a free flowing and empathetic exchange of views. In addition I think it is fair to say that my involvement with the Lincoln SSC is somewhat peripheral as the main focus is on face-to-face and I live in Bradford. However, I have been a keen supporter of the idea from the start, even putting my money where my mouth is, and hope to be able to make an occasional contribution to the programme when it is up and running.

I have never been to one of the formally organised setup meetings for the SCC but I have had a number of discussions with founder members in the very early days. My understanding, then at least, is it is a political project. This may of course be a misunderstanding and I would be happy (or rather, unhappy) to be corrected. Things have moved on since then no doubt. What I saw as political is the explicit critique of the marketisation of HE, the construction of students as customers and academics as purveyors of goods and services (and the implications of this for student/lecturer roles and relations), the attack on the arts, humanities and social sciences, the embroiling of HE in the neoliberal ideology and project, and much else besides. This critical stance manifested itself in discussions around who the students would be, what the pedagogy would be (loosely speaking a critical pedagogy), what the curriculum should consist of, what would be the appropriate relationship between 'academics' and 'students', what sorts of assessement and accreditation, if any, would be appropriate, and so on. Much of this was to be negotiated with the students on the basis of their existing knowledge, their ideas and their needs. I never had the feeling that the project was ever about producing a free and partial clone of existing universities. If this was the case, it would still be political of course, by default.

Maybe this has changed in the face of discussions and realpolitik. Whatever the case, I am happy to be involved, happy to help to 'deliver the curriculum', happy to spread the word, as I have been doing energetically from the start. On the latter, I'll pause until I'm clear what the 'word' is!

Best wishes

Terry

Dr. Terry Wassall
Principal Teaching Fellow