[SSC] FW: Call for Papers: The Politics of Critique

Richard Hall RHall1 at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Apr 10 17:29:29 UTC 2012

FYI

Hope you are all well.

Richard.

-----Original Message-----
From: nc95 at brighton.ac.uk [mailto:nc95 at brighton.ac.uk]
Sent: Tue 10/04/2012 14:29
Subject: Call for Papers: The Politics of Critique

2nd Call for Papers
CSRG Postgraduate Conference

The Politics of Critique

18th-19th July - University of Brighton

The present moment bears witness to a dynamic proliferation of events and transformations that are reshaping our socio-political horizon. In recent years, the effects of the financial crisis and neoliberal governance have materialised in the form of the radical imposition of austerity measures. In response, waves of revolt and resistance - from student occupations at UK Universities to the 'Arab Spring', from organised strikes and demonstrations to the London riots, from Athens to 'Occupy' - have spread throughout the world. For a brief moment, these manifestations of political rebellion appeared to have created a historical sense of possibility which not only furnished emergent forms of activism with confidence but also, as engaged intellectuals have been eager to assert, seemed to have validated the premises of classical critical frameworks. Yet, despite continuous resistance and revolt, we have seen the installation of unelected technocrats in Greece and Italy; despite a politically active and engaged student community, we have seen the implementation of education cuts and an unprecedented rise in University tuition fees in the UK; despite vocal opposition from across the social spectrum, we have seen the NHS bill being pushed through parliament. Whilst the necessity of critical political engagement has by no means lost its urgency, the prevailing sense of opportunity has given way to a fundamental scepticism regarding the scope and possibility of radical thought and action. When the question 'what is to be done?' seems to be ever more difficult to answer, we believe that this is a decisive moment to examine the limits and scope of critique and its relationship to practice. It is the aim of this conference to render productive this moment of crisis and disorientation to pause and reflect on the fundamental logics, questions and commitments that underlie critical political thinking. In short, the challenge of this conference is to rethink the politics of critique.

This interdisciplinary conference challenges engaged intellectuals across the academic spectrum to examine the events of the past decade and to offer a re-thinking of critical political thought in light of these changes. We welcome contributions from disciplines including, but by no means limited to, philosophy, critical theory, political theory, sociology, anthropology, critical and human geography, environmental studies, art and aesthetics, history, and bio-sciences.

This event is the culmination of a year long lecture series on the role and place of critique in contemporary society, featuring Howard Caygill, Diana Coole, Mark Devenney, Costas Douzinas, Alan Finlayson, Sarah Franklin, Saul Newman, Benjamin Noys, Nina Power, and Daniel Steuer (http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/research/cappe/news2/dangerous-ideas-rethinking-the-politics-of-critique).

Abstracts of around 300 words should be sent to: is72[@]uni.brighton.ac.uk by 2nd May 2012.

This event is hosted by the Critical Studies Research Group in close collaboration with CAPPE (Centre for Applied Philosophy, Politics, and Ethics) and CRD (Centre for Research and Development) at the University of Brighton.

For more information on the CSRG please visit: http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/study/humanities/postgraduate-critical-studies-research-group