[SSC] Tomorrrow

Richard Keeble rkeeble at lincoln.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 07:41:33 UTC 2012

Hello all,
There's a lot of Orwell to choose from: how about selecting a couple from:

In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly and hatred

The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink.

Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_orwell.html> against a homicidal maniac.

See folks soon...
Richard