[SSC] Fwd: Coursera course o

Megan C. Robertson megan at medals.org.uk
Mon Aug 20 10:55:05 UTC 2012

Yes, Coursera is FUN. And ethically in accord with SSC ideals, as the
courses are free! (I am doing 'Internet History, Technology and Security'
at the moment.)

If you do not know of them, Coursera is at http://www.coursera.org/ and
offers 'massive multiuser online courses' delivered distance-learning
style. Each week there are video lectures to watch, discussion boards are
used for academic debate and assessment is by quiz and peer-reviewed
submissions (given the number of students - in their thousands - the
teacher won't be marking your work!).

The courses are delivered by real academics from some well-regarded
schools - MIT, Harvard, University of Michegan and the University of
Edinburgh (who are doing an e-learning course in January, I've already
signed up for that!). They offer certificates of course completion
provided you get a 'pass mark' on the assessments, but these are not
intended as academic credit, just to show what you have done. (Nice for
those of us who have to show evidence of continuing professional
development, though.)

Hugs from Megan.