[SSC] SSC Meeting Notes 25th August

Michael Neary nearymichael at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 08:37:41 UTC 2012

Dear All,Please see draft notes from SSC meeting on 25th of August.Bw,MSocial Science Centre Meeting -  25th August, Pathways Centre, Beaumont FeePresentDarryl, Stephen, Alan, Grace, Mike N., AnnieApologiesSarah, Sandie, Richard K, David, HeatherThe meeting began at 12 noonThere was no formal agenda. The meeting was based on discussions around a number of themes:Public LectureProf Michael Fielding has agreed to present the public lecture for the launch of the SSC. Due to Prof Fielding’s schedule the date for this event is now Thursday, 27th of September, from 7 – 9 pm at the Collection. Professor Fielding will be talking about democracy and educationPublicityMike agreed to contact Richard K and Grace next week to discuss publicity for this event and for the SSC generally. CurriculumThe draft curriculum for the Social Science Imagination was discussed. The meeting was very positive about the shape that his programme is taking. It was agreed that the outline should include some reference to the way in which issues will emerge from this programme to form the basis of the Themes programme in January 2012.The draft curriculum for Scholary Literacies was presented by Darryl. It was agreed that this was a very solid framework on which to build  learning support for student-scholars. The meeting noted the start dates for all aspects of the SSC curriculumagreed at the previous meeting. These dates were re-confirmed together with the names of the scholar-teachers who will be working on these parts of the programme. These dates and times are to be sent out to all members.StudentsThe SSC has nine students who are committed to starting on the Social Science Imagination programme at the beginning of October.These are: Stephen, Darryl, Annie, Alice, Alun, Grace, David, Vernon and Laura. Library ProvisonMembers of the Centre have met with Paul S, an experienced librarian working in the city of Lincoln. Paul has agreed to draw up a draft document setting out the Centre’s policies with regard to copyright and other matters relating to published resources used by the Centre. Purpose of SSCThere was an interesting discussion at the end of the meeting about the purpose of the SSC. The meeting agreed that SSC should be about more than learning social science, but should contribute to debates about how to resolve many of the serious issues confronting humanity. It was re-affirmed that the SSC should be flexible about what student-scholars want to get out of their engagement with the Centre.The meeting ended at 1.25 pm MN 26th August