[SSC] Draft Notes SSC Meeting 5th Jan

Michael Neary nearymichael at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:53:36 UTC 2012

[draft ] Social Science
Centre Meeting Notes 5th January 2012, 7.30 – 9.30pm, at Mint Lane

Apologies

Joss, Jonathon, Richard Hall, Sara Motta,
Lara, Joyce.

Present

Sandy, Sarah Amsler, Richard ( left at
8.30), David Mac, Ed Bacon ( Chair), Jamie Dobison, Mike, plus two others (
names from David Mac please)

Agenda

1. Curriculum –

It was confirmed that we will provide all
three levels of Higher Education: undergraduate, masters and doctoral level

The undergraduate curriculum would be as
agreed at the previous meeting

Level 1 – 4 modules

Intro to Social Science; an Option,
Scholary literacy 1, and an independent project

Level 2 – 4 modules

Intro to Social Science (continued);
another Option, Scholarly Literacy 2, continuing with independent project

Level 3 – 2 modules

Scholarly Literacy and the independent
project

It was agreed that members of the Centre
who wanted to teach, should map their own areas of expertise against this three
level framework.

Masters level

No curriculum required for Masters level as
this will be done by research.

2. Quality

This issue to be discussed at next meeting.

3. Values

This issue to be discussed at the next
meeting.

4. Recruitment

First Open Day for prospective students to
be April 21st, Saturday from 10 – 4pm. It would take place at a
number of venues across the city: Housed Gallery, The Collection, The Usher
Gallery and  Croft Street Community
Centre.

Format of day to be arranged. There are
likely to be a number of Open days.

Action:  DMac to check out availabilities of
venues.

Applicants to be asked for biog information
and statement of why they wish to join the SSC, no more than 500 words. They
can apply online or on paper.

Actions:

SS – to create application form

RK to write Press Release

5. Design

Jamie Dobison led design discussion.
Typeface font and basis for logo agreed. JD to come back to us with worked up
images by Monday 15th of January.

6. AOB

There was a general discussion about the
importance of linking up with similar projects in UK and elsewhere. It was
agreed to hire a minibus to go to a national meeting to meet such projects in
Birmingham on 25th of Feb.

MN has been approached by Times Higher Ed
to be interviewed for an article on alternative forms of higher education
projects.

Dates of next meetings

Feb 4th , 11- 3pm

Feb 15th, 7.30 – 9.30pm