[SSC] SSC curriculum stuff -- to the wider group

Jared Pappas-Kelley pappaskelley at mac.com
Thu Jun 28 19:48:33 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well and it sounds like the meeting was very productive and that some positive ideas came from it. Sorry that I didn't send these forms out to you sooner, but I have been a bit poorly (sorry if this is all a bit rambling or disjointed as a result of this!) Anyway, here is how one university does their evaluation system and it is also an effective means for tracking each individual learner's progress through a program (especially useful in something like this where not all students are on the same timeline and are producing individualised projects and exploring their own themes). For this program there were ongoing assignments called Annotations, where students wrote short 1-2 page process papers for everything they were reading or working with. These Annotations were short responses that help the student to get in the habit of writing constantly, whilst working through any writing issues or anxieties they may have (the quality of these were varied depending on the student, but they always got better and offered a record of their thoughts on a subject)--and they were a way of apply the material to their own interests and research ideas as they gradually emerge over the course of the semesters. The idea was that when you completed the courses you would have a collection of personalised Annotations that gave a brief overview of the materials you had worked with, that informally explored themes, which was useful as a resource when writing longer papers or more formalised articles. A couple of my annotations were the first things I ever cleaned up (annotations can be relatively informal and are governed more by ideas and engagement) and had published in journals when I was starting out.

One of the first exercises when starting off the very first semester was the Study Plan as a Whole. This was an exercise where all students met with their advisor/mentor as a group (usually around eight students) and the mentor walks everyone through some of the expectations/vision and then they each schedule a one-on-one meeting to discuss and negotiate what their interests are, what some basic groundwork readings might be (some groups preferred to have everyone in the group reading all the same material, whist others might have a mix of individualised student readings, or even completely individualised materials for each student with supplemental "all together articles" for seminars), and to begin mapping out what the shape of their studies overall might eventually be. The results of this were then written up on the form and this becomes their tentative roadmap (and everyone's always changed and morphs through the course of their studies), but this offers a good place to start out and formalise what it is that you hope to achieve or examine through your education (your learning contract of sorts). Also any changes that happen would be address in each new Semester Study Plan as well as the student's evaluation. This allows the curriculum to remain flexible and grow with the student, but also offers something to gauge their progress through the course of the semester and overall. For example: a student might say 'I would like to examine the complete works of Proust.' …which through the course of the semester might need to be changed to "I will read these three articles on Proust X, Y, Z, while focussing on the introduction in 'In Search of Lost Time' … or maybe they start Proust and realise they have no interest in it or it isn't related to what they want to examine (or the project they subsequently develop), in which case they have to address these concerns and changes in their evaluation and next Semester Study Plan.

At the end of each semester the students also fill out a Self Evaluation, which offers a space for reflection on their process and progress through the course. Also if there were any issues, this is their space to unpack them. This is also useful if a student feels they received too harsh of an Evaluation from their mentor, etc, the student can address this here. Each Semester Self Evaluation is filed alongside the mentor's Evaluation of their work and become married as their transcript. I could probably dig up a couple filled-in examples of a Self Eval along with a Semester Advisor Eval (lecturers evaluation of their work) if that is useful.

The Final Student Self Evaluation is fairly self explanatory and is an effort to bring all of the semesters together into a narrative of what they studied. In many cases, overall themes and connections didn't emerge until this final bit of reflection that brings all the efforts together. It is a place for the student to shine and for some introspection.

For some reason these documents are in reverse order here, but hopefully this is useful. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, I have participated as a student through undergrad, graduate, to PhD in evaluation based programs, so I can discuss this from a student's perspective as well.

Again, sorry if this is rambling or disorganised!

All best,
Jared

Note: this is all from an MFA: Visual Art and Critical Theory degree.