[SSC] A Practice that Aspires

Laurence Davis ldavis at oceanfree.net
Sun Jan 13 13:03:39 UTC 2013

Well said. I particularly like the emphasis on re-imagining and recreating the worlds in which we live as ‘an ongoing process of learning to be otherwise’. This does not seem to me at all ‘wildly utopian’ (6), but rather pragmatically utopian, in keeping with John Dewey’s understanding of ends as ‘foreseen consequences which arise in the course of activity and which are employed to give activity added meaning and to direct its further course’ (J. Dewey, ‘The Nature of Aims’, in R.D. Archambault ed., *John Dewey on Education'*, Random House, 1965, 72) and the authors’ commitment to an open-ended, democratic pedagogy guided by the grounded utopian philosophy of ‘walking, we ask questions’ (a topic, by the way, explored by a number of speakers at a recent Fringe Festival event in Dublin to which I contributed: https://soundcloud.com/sorcha-kenny/walking-we-ask-questions-part). As Paul Goodman once thoughtfully remarked of utopianism, in a world in which ‘experts plan in terms of an unchangeable structure, a pragmatic expediency that still wants to take the social structure as plastic and changeable comes to be thought of as “utopian”’.

Laurence