[SSC] Inaugural report on People's Political Economy project

joel lazarus joel_lazarus at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 13:51:10 UTC 2013

Dear Laurence,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read our report and for such positive endorsements.
I see you forwarded it to the FUN list. I had included them on the initial mail out. I had hoped you had received it through that list too, but you got it one way or another.

So, as for your questions...
1) The initial training was far from adequate. One of our main tasks this summer is to develop a proper, robust in-house training programme. This is going to involve three elements: 1) Political economy - I've asked various people/groups to contribute to this. I've even asked the Adam Smith Institute! They've not got back yet...; We're also attending economics workshops run by other groups so we can take the best bits of those e.g. I went to Jubilee Debt Campaign's recent 'Economics for all' and am going to 'Rethinking Economics' on Fri and Sat at LSE; 2) Critical pedagogy - again, we're inviting people to come and help us develop our training on this (inc SSC's own Mike N and Sarah A). I'm also reading on this; 3) Awareness of issues/challenges facing the groups we're working with - for this we're inviting representatives of the groups we worked with in the pilot scheme to help us develop this side of the training, and also probably address our new facilitators at the training workshop itself.
Ultimately, we want to get it to the stage that everything is done collaboratively between organisers/facilitators/participants. Indeed, we want participants to become organisers and facilitators. But this does take time.

2) Re repositories of study materials. Those of us on the Organising Committee working on this are aware of efforts by others to do the same thing. We want to work together to avoid duplication of efforts. And, yes, all this will definitely be totally open to anyone and everyone to use.

3) Having folk at Brookes and Ruskin involved is absolutely crucial, we believe. We are currently recruiting for our Organising Committee and we desperately want representatives from both institutions at the heart of it driving this forward. I'm very confident this is going to happen soon.

4) Re an article. Yes, perhaps Sara and Ana Margarida might be interested. Michael Edwards in the US has suggested that we write something for his 'Transformations' section on OpenDemocracy. We could turn this report into an article, for sure. I put in an abstract for the Edinburgh conference but it was rejected.

I'm really thrilled that you Laurence feel inspired by our report. To be frank, we've achieved very little so far, but building the foundations is the hard work. I think this thing can take off over the next 12-18months.

In solidarity to all!
Joel