[SSC] Alternative paths to PhD

Richard Keeble rkeeble at lincoln.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 12:57:31 UTC 2013

Most interesting Josh.
Just for info: I started at City University (where I taught for 19
years) and here again at Lincoln an innovative, unique PhD (called here
a PhD by Practice) whereby experienced practising journalists can submit
a substantial portfolio of work to a panel. If that is considered of
appropriate standard they then move on to the research degree writing a
reflective dissertation of up to 40,000 words. The degree therefore,
importantly, acknowledges the academic quality, complexity and rigour of
the best journalism - and helps integrate practising journalists into
higher education.
Best wishes,
Richard