[SSC] SSC presenations at RGS?

Andre Pusey [RPG] gyap at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 14:29:11 UTC 2014

Dear SSC members,

A colleague and I are involved in organising a session called 'from co-production to alternative futures ' at this years Royal Geographical Society conference in London at the end of August. We accepted an abstract from the SSC as part of this session (pasted below), but we have heard that nobody is able to present this now.

I just wanted to check that this is the case, so that I can let the RGS know and this paper can be taken out of the programme. If someone is able to come and present this paper then we would certainly welcome finding out more about how the project has been developing.

Many thanks,
Andre

http://conference.rgs.org/AC2014/377

An Emancipatory Project for Higher Education - The Social Science Centre, Lincoln
Social Science Centre members (Social Science Centre)
The Social Science Centre, Lincoln, is a co-operative for higher education constituted in 2011. Its non-hierarchical, consensus-based institutional form was partly influenced by the network of social centres that exist across the UK and elsewhere. In May 2014, the co-operative will hold its third AGM and we are currently running a Social Science Imagination course for the second year, two arts-based community projects, as well as regular public talks. Articles about the SSC have appeared in Radical Philosophy, the Times Higher Education and the Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies. The SSC remains an experiment - on our own terms a successful one - that has allowed its members to not only teach and learn at the level of higher education, but also, reflect on, discuss and critique alternative and utopian forms of higher education.

This paper will discuss the outcomes of the SSC's 2014 Social Science Imagination course, which is focusing on the theme of co-operation and education. We will present an outline of the curriculum co-produced by scholars on the course, an overview of our chosen pedagogy, and distill the learning and findings from the course. From this, we will discuss critically the implications of adopting a co-operative model for higher education and point towards the possible development of a 'co-operative university'.