[SSC] Mapping Community Media, University of Leicester 24th November

rob at robwatsonmedia.net rob at robwatsonmedia.net
Sat Nov 3 11:49:45 UTC 2018

Hi

I'm running a workshop with Dr Katie Moylan at the University of Leicester
on the 24th November, with the aim of developing a preliminary mapping of
the field of study related to community media.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mapping-community-media-tickets-51010319238

The aim is to feed into the mission of the Community Media Association with
an evidenced-based approach to policy development that can be used to
advocate and support the practices of community media groups across the UK.

One of the objectives I would like to achieve at the workshop, is to
identity a model for an open-research, so that we can maintain a strong
relationship with the stakeholders and participants of the community media
groups we are working with.

I was wondering if anyone might be interested in attending the workshop who
has experience of open-research models, and who might be willing to give a
five-minute lightning presentation?

In many ways the CMA is pitched against the might of large commercial
organisations who are well resourced and can produce data that sustains
their economic position, while the patchwork of voluntary groups that run
community media projects find it difficult to project a coherent voice that
has impact with policy makers and resource holders.

I'm happy to have a chat about the aims of the workshop if you need any more
information. I've started a thread on http://chat.commedia.org.uk which I
will be encouraging participants in the workshop to use for pre- and
follow-on discussion.

Best wishes

Rob

Dr Rob Watson