[Ssf] On Sarah J letter (to Ben specifically):comment

Amparo Gutierrez amparo2yo at telefonica.net
Tue Aug 24 00:24:38 BST 2004

I take back my words: it is possible to express kindness , tact-and
sense of humour, in view of Sarah J's letter.
I knew Ben is a professional journalist, and of course i appreciate his
participation and reading what he has to say.
But on the religion conversation issue: Jorge Luis Borges, also
appreciated in many quarters, wrote that an interest in theology shows
cleverness: when half the world is at least partially moved by religious
motivations, then us westerners (sheffield inhabitants included) should
try and understand and get interested.
I know that in other parts of the world (usa for instance) new careers
are being developed on terrorism and antiterrorism studies. but i doubt
these studies include theology (or say comparative religions). If we are
interested in our neighbours, and the more than 17 different ethnic
communities in sheffield now, then it is only natural that we understand
their religions/gods/theologies.
Of course as Sarah Jane says, this is related to local events like the
Iraqi who is denied asylum, or the boy who was staying at the Northern
general hospìtal, spine injuries department, crippled for life due to a
bullet inside his spine. These are consequences of the war, aren't they?
Good health in body and mind to all

amp