[Ssf] about quangos and civic pride campaigns

noone noone machinevman at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:00:31 BST 2004

>how are quangos  meant to be "independent" bodies when they are directly
>appointed (their members) by a Minister?

The theory is that because quangos are not directly accountable to the
electorate (i.e. us) they are "independent" of political monuvering and
point scoring, also they are often appointed by committee not nessasarily by
a minister.  The other "benefit" to quangos is that they sometimes have
experts in a particular field sitting on the commitee like architects,
buissness people or academics.  Most of the time the elected people in
parlament or the city council just don't know enough about the field that
the quango operates in or don't have the time to be able to micro-manage
every last transaction that the quango makes.

There is far more about the subject of quangos here:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~perc/quangos.html

I feel that the danger is the not many people actually know who sits on the
big quangos and how normal people like us can affect the decision making
proccess.  Recently there was a big scandal over the "heart of the city"
project and creative sheffield, it maybe somthing to investigate.

cuthbert