[Ssf] self employed human being (not important)

r7 r7 at aktivix.org
Fri Dec 3 23:28:55 GMT 2004

quoting amp:

> out of interest?

yup -- out of interest. it would seem from the subject and the tone of your
reply that you feel i might have meant this is an a derogatory way. i've racked
my brains to try and work out why but have failed. if i've upset you amp, i'm
sorry but am at a loss to know what i've done. no slight meant in the slightest
:-)

and now to the matter at hand... when i was self-employed for some years, it
made sense for me to remain in the same union i'd been in for years as an
employed person. i was essentially doing the same job and it was [at that time]
an industry where being in a union meant something to employers, employees and
freelancers alike -- printing. i am now a member of the tgwu as a voluntary
sector worker [for the protections they offer me as a worker] and a wobbly
because i believe that's more how unionism should be done.

my partner who is self-employed now, completely changed jobs and left unison and
is now a wobbly. so it can go either way.

> I have just sent an enquiry letter to IWW, which i didn't know about (!)

well, i'm glad that i've brought that to your attention. the iww has a long and
interesting history, but still has relevance. who's organizing the starbucks
workers in ny? the iww.

if i was from spain, i think i'd probably endeavour to be in the cnt i suppose.

> Just in case (out of self-interest) someone knows about it, i am looking
> for a trade union or working association for the self-employed in Great
> Britain, profession or occupation translator, not interpreter but
> translator of written texts (including legal documentation).

i'm sorry i don't have more specific info on your trade/profession/craft.

> I know, and have contacted for membership to, translators' associations
> both in Spain and here in Great Britain... but they seem to address
> other aspects of the trade. OK i will continue with my enquiries and
> will let you know.

but this is the nub of the matter. what is it that you [not specifically you
amp, but i can't bring myself to write "one"] expect from a union?

in amp's case, it's something more than can be offered by a professional or
trade organization. for me, joining the union when i started work was the most
natural thing. it was my upbringing and also the way in my chosen trade. i
would still advise anyone in any work place to join a union [ask me why if your
interested].

does that mean that i think unions are fab and groovy places to do interesting
and fulfilling political work? only if you've got a hide like a buffalo and a
larger tolerance for bullshit and frustration than i.

i leave working out why i'm a wobbly to the reader :-)

so what is it you want from your union?

r7
--
r7 [at] aktivix [dot] org