[Ssf] [Info] Rhizoid / Rhizome Metaphor

2 % adam at diamat.org.uk
Fri Dec 10 13:40:02 GMT 2004

Hi,

At the meeting of 02/12/04 the term "Rhizoid" was mentioned as perhaps a
suitable metaphor to use to help describe our new social networks
enabled by internet technology.

I've dug around a bit and found a bit more information:

* "What is a Rhizome ?" http://rhizome.org/info/index.php

"A rhizome is a horizontal, root-like stem that extends underground and
sends out shoots to the surface. Rhizomes connect plants in a living
network."

... and also ...

* A paper by Andrew Leyshon entitled "Scary Monsters? Software formats,
peer-to-peer networks, and the spectre of the gift" dated 2002.

http://www.geog.nottingham.ac.uk/~leyshon/Scary%20Monsters%202002.PDF

"The paper focuses upon a socio-technical network made possible through
the combination of software, the Internet and peer-to-peer computer
networks. These socio-technical networks have destabilised the regime of
governance that supports what I describe in the paper as copyright
capitalism by creating a series of gift economies where the products of
those industries are given away"

Hope this is of use.

--
2 %