[Ssf] Sheffield Social Forum : Project Fallujah WAS [Fwd: [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] International Links : Fallujah]

2 % Human adam at diamat.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 02:30:34 GMT 2004

Hi Lists,

I went to Sharrow last Thursday night and met with folk from the Social
Forum. It was nice, for once, to go to a meeting in Sheffield and not to
be accosted by paper-sellers.

People there, used to the set up of the Social Forum, explained that
there is no one agenda / mission statement. In practice, specific
projects splinter-off from the larger group and do there own thing.
They also explained the idea of an providing an *Open Space* for people
to meet and formulate their ideas ... erm, and just to chat.

There were others there, like myself who had turned up on spec. There
was a student from France who is working for a Derbyshire Company ...
The Company is axing its staff and he's picked up the challace to defend
their employment rights ... He came to try and get help and just to have
a general nosey ... He's active in Indymedia and Social Forums in France
I think.

There was a women who had picked up a leaflet in her local library
advertising the event. She had rang around her mates to find if they
knew anything about the Forum. She suggested that if the event was
better advertised then they would be better attended. She expressed
frustration at the present state of affairs and is seeking to engage in
something that would make a difference. I share this frustration.

I explained to the group that I had come along for a general nosey and
to try and cook an half-baked idea : Project Fallujah [a]

A few folk said "cool; we'll try to help", one man said "that's a
cracking idea; go for it" ... so there being no time like the present, I
have.

I'm going to get the ball rolling now with a few emails. I'll cross-post
them to both the Forum list and the Anti-War List. Depending on the take
up of help, it may be an idea to set up a separate list.

--
2 %

[a]