[Ssf] Sheffield ESF Mobilising - meeting Wednesday

Joss Yousaf Joss.Yousaf at bigfoot.com
Tue Sep 14 21:51:03 BST 2004

Hi all,

Meetings are usually on Tuesdays at 7pm, Room 5 at the Showroom.
This week, it is taking place on Wednesday at 7, after Ken Loach's Q&A
session.
Rumours are that future meetings may take place in New Roots/Ashram in
Burngreave - I will let you know if a change of venue is forthcoming.

I can't make it unfortunately, but if you want to go down, present your
ideas and influence the outcome, feel free.
It's open to all. Don’t let SWP dominance put you off (I'm nothing to do
with them, and am just trying to help mobilise folks from Sheffield get
to the event, and staying positive. "Putting the fun back into
fundamentalism", as I like to say).

So far, the big news, is that a number of coaches have been booked there
and back.
In terms of accommodation, that's a more comples logistical problem, and
to be honest, I think we assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it would be best
for individuals/groups to register with the ESF. I'm labouring under the
belief that once you register, you are provided with accommodation
advice. However, if you have difficulties, please contact me, and I will
make investigations.

The Showroom are also presenting an advance screening of Ken Loach's
latest film, Ae Fond Kiss, a film about the  difficulties created by a
muslim man and a western woman's relationship, post 9/11, set in
Glasgow.
Ken's other work includes Bread & Roses (about two sisters working as
cleaners in downtown LA, and their struggle in trying to form a union)
and 9:11:01, a film about responses to the 9/11 catastrophe, that is
exactly 9 minutes, 11 seconds and a single frame long.

Finally, a reminder of some other future events:

1) Fadwa Barghouti, wife of Israeli political prisoner Marwan Barghouti,
is speaking at St Matthews Rooms, Carver St, 19:30 on Thursday (16th
Sept). She will speak about Israeli "justice", the recent hunger strike
by prisoners, and the Free Marwan Barghouti campaign.
2) Concert for Palestine, 8pm, Saturday 2nd October, featuring Free
Radical, Green Onions and DJ Disorientalist. Will be broadcast live over
the internet, too. And there will be great food served! Tickets £6 (£5
concessions)

Peace & Soul,

Joss