[Ssf] Tale of two cities...

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Wed Sep 15 19:06:00 BST 2004

Allo again,

Me n one other person made the first steps toward the 'tale of two cities'
project last week.

We cycled from some of the richest, to the poorest parts of Sheffield, taking
pictures of the views from one side to the other.

The aim is that these piccies will go into a website, and you'll be able to
click on the piccie to be instantly transported between the rich and poor sides
of the city - hopefully using a digital medium to close the huge gulf between
those very few miles. (Including some stories n stats n stuff - I'm also keen
to include Mozaz style tours of e.g. empty houses, compare these to rich ones.
Not that they'd let us in!)

This is one case where the digital divide won't be such a problem - if the
project is seen by the richer folk in Sheffield, this will be all the better.

Anyway, I've started a WIKI page (without photos at the mo, but I'll get 'em
uploaded soon...)

http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/Tale_of_two_cities

It has a link to a great Star article about the richness of Hallam - and some
local politicians claiming how this shows that regeneration is working!

For now, we'll carry on doing photo trips across Sheffield. Anyone want to join
in?  It's a great way to get to know the city!

For anyone that does - beg, steal or borrow a bike. It's the only way to do it,
man. (Unless you already have a bike - it would be silly to steal one in these
circumstances.)

I'm writing to both SSF n IMC coz it'd be good if some Indymedia writing came
from this too.  Me n other person thought about starting an IMC WIKI page for
this writing...

love

Dan