[Ssf] esf prep meeting?

Alison Higgins alison.higgins1 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 28 18:47:31 BST 2004

The ESF mobilising lot have booked a load of tickets on megabus - they
go Thurs, Fri or Sat and come back Sun or Mon. They will cost £10 return
or £5 return if unwaged. Bit of a bargain! Ring 07967 340 275 to book.
I can't make this Thurs but will be interested in what comes up. There
are film events this weekend and discussions - see info below
Cheers Alison

Sheffield European Social Forum (ESF) Mobilising Committee

‘Sheffield Goes to the ESF’ - Special Film Screenings in October
Two Saturdays of thought provoking, radical film and discussion leading
up to the European Social Forum events in London October 14th-17th.

Saturday October 2nd

3pm ‘Voices From the Rubble’
Sheffield Palestine Solidarity Campaign activist, Musheir Al-Farra
returns to where he grew up and interviews those whos lives have been
wrecked by Israeli tanks and bulldozers. Musheir gives a personal
insight into the suffering of the Palestinians in this well made, moving
and powerful documentary.

4.15pm ESF Briefing
What is the ESF? Why should people in Sheffield consider going? The
latest news on events at the ESF, how to register, transport,
accommodation and all you need to know.

5.30 – 7.30pm Michael Moore’s ‘Roger and Me’
In 1989, Michael Moore (acclaimed and controversial director of
‘Farenheit 9/11’) burst onto the American moviemaking scene with ‘Roger
and Me’. The groundbreaking documentary chronicles the progress of the
world’s largest corporation, General Motors, as it turns it’s hometown
of Flint, Michigan, into a ghost town by shutting its factory. In his
quest to discover why GM would want to do such a thing, Michael Moore –
a Flint native – attempts to meet the Chairman of GM, Roger Smith, and
persuade him to come and visit Flint to see the destruction first hand.
An hilarious expose of corporate greed and the effects of globalisation.

Film length 91 mins

Saturday October 9th

2-4pm events to be confirmed

4pm film shorts and discussion
‘Sheffield Goes to the ESF’ will be screening short films from past anti
capitalist demonstrations around the world, pin-pointing some of the key
moments in the development of the movement.

6.15pm – 7.15pm film and discussion ‘Rumble in Mumbai’
First screening in Sheffield.
‘Rumble in Mumbai’ documents the World Social Forum held in Mumbai,
India in January 2004. The Forum is a process that began as an
alternative to the World Economic Forum and to provide a venue for the
many disaffected voices that began to seriously debate globalisation in
the 1990s. Over 100,000 people attended this year’s forum, all looking
to build international solidarity - and a better world.

7.30pm – 9pm Film to be announced

All films and discussions to take place at:
Sheffield Independent Film (SIF)
5 Brown Street
2 mins from Sheffield Station

Contact details:
07810 824 223 (Phil Turner – S Yorks NUJ)

local website www.mobilisesheffield-esf.org.uk

London ESF 2004 website www.ukesf.org.uk

Additional Information
The European Social Forum is a giant gathering for everyone opposed to
war, racism and corporate power, everyone who wants to see global
justice, workers’ rights and a sustainable society.

The ESF emerged from the spectacular success of the World Social Forum
whoch opened in Porto Alegre, Brazil in 2001. The ESF’s first two
gatherings in Florence (2002) and Paris (2003) attracted over 50,000
activists from across Europe and beyond.

It is a chance for people to come together and engage in debate,
organise action and build campaigning networks. It will consist of
hundreds of seminars, forums and debates involving leading activists
from across the world plus music, film showings and exhibitions.

The ESF is supported by all of the major unions in the UK, the Greater
London Assembly and NGOs such as CND, the World Development Movement,
War on Want and many others.