[ssf] PRESS RELEASE

Robert Pounder bob.pounder at tesco.net
Tue Apr 19 17:15:43 BST 2005

Dear colleague,

MANSOOR HASSAN CAMPAIGN

Please find attached (and pasted) a press release.

Would you kindly ensure that this is posted as widely as possible please.

Best wishes
Bob Pounder

Press Release

Coronation Street star, Julie Hesmondhalgh to host press conference in support of exiled journalist Mansoor Hassan's appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

Julie Hesmondhalgh who plays Hayley Patterson in Coronation Street will appear at a press conference at the offices of the National Union of Journalists, Fifth floor, Arthur House, Chorlton Street, Manchester on Thursday 21 April 2005 at 11am.

Julie will be adding her support to a campaign supported by the NUJ and the National Coalition Against Deportations to prevent exiled journalist Mansoor Hassan from being deported to Pakistan, where his life is under serious threat.

Mansoor Hassan's journalistic work led to exposes of government corruption, political complicity with honour killings and illegal drug dealing.

During the course of this work he was beaten up, shot at and his family were subject to severe barbiturate poisoning. Whilst visiting his father's house, gunmen attacked the property and burned it down.

According to Human Rights Watch, the Pakistan government: "Systematically violates the rights of journalists"

Mansoor Hassan said: "If we return to Pakistan we will be killed. As soon as we land in the country the government will be alerted of our return, they key details into the system at the airport. We will be detained immediately."

He has now been granted leave to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights to appeal against a UK government decision not to grant him asylum.

The appeal papers along with a solid portfolio of supporting evidence have now been forwarded to the ECHR in Strasbourg. The appeal rests on the following criteria.

Article 2. Right to life

Article 3. Prohibition of Torture

Article 6. Right to a Fair Trial

Article10. Freedom of Expression

NUJ General Secretary Jeremy Dear has written to the Home Office seeking assurances that due process may take place before any decision in respect of  Mansoor Hassan's status in the UK is implemented.

Contact:

Bob Pounder

0161 339 6740

07837558036