[ssf] Night after Night with Charlotte sometimes

dr who adam at diamat.org.uk
Mon Apr 25 00:24:22 BST 2005

Hooker :

	Here
	Listen to this passage
	You'll like it:

	 'Often I've thought of myself as a state;
	  a country or,
	  at the very least,
	  a city.

	  It used to seem to me that the different ways
  	  that I felt
  	  sometimes
  	  about ideas,
	  courses of action and so on
  	  were like the differing
  	  political moods
	  that countries go through.'

School Friend :

	Who's that by ? [ Laughing ]

Hooker :

	Ian Banks
	The Wasp Factory

School Friend :

	Tell me about the characters ...

   	Are they coherently crazy ?"

Hooker :

	Well ...

  	You are left guessing some of the time
  	Like with Chandler
  	Or Simenon or Father Brown

  	But yep;
  	They are coherently crazy

School Friend :

	Ah ...

	It is not that you are 'left guessing'
	As you would put it.

	The authors paint their characters
	Upon square canvasses.

	The reader then pitches these characters:

	As portraits,
	As landscapes,
	As a dialectic

Hooker :

	You and your dialectics [ Giggling ]
	It seems all very solid solution series to me

School Friend :

	Ah ...
  	The Physicist !

	Tell me about movement ?

	Tell me now
	Tell me now about Orgreaves

Hooker :

	I know
	I know Orgreaves.
	I know
	I know Peterloo.
	I know
	I know Hillsborough.
	I know
	I know Nightmare

School Friend :

	What were they playing at ! [ Shouting ]

[ The door of the room opened and the Nurse enters pushing the pharmacy
trolley ]

Nurse :

	Here's your Chemo [ Handing the Hooker the potion ]
	Drink it up now
	There's a good thing

	Oh ...
	Hold on a minute
	Here comes a cuppa
	Have it with that

[ The Nurse completes the chart and departs ]

Hooker :

	Thanks Nurse  [ Smiling at the departing Nurse ]

[ The Hooker still smiling and still staring at the door by which the
Nurse departed ]

	And putting this cocktail on to the occasional table
	Which is occasionally something else ...

[ The Hooker returns their attention to the School Friend ]

	Lets get back to business:

	Can you remember Bomber Burgund ?

	From school ?

	Remember that Assembly
	Where Bomber told us
	That there had been an earthquake
	And the earth
	Had lost its orbit ?

School Friend :

	I remember Diogenes

Hooker :

	Yes,
	And why not ?

	And remember Bomber said:
	'That everyone was told
	 We could only save the earth
	 If we jumped in sequence
	 Like a Mexican wave
	 To put us all
	 On an even keel

	And you said:
	'It would never have worked
	 That only a few would jump
  	 And the rest
   	 Would just stand watching
   	 As always'

School Friend :

	I remember Diogenes !

Hooker :

	Then ...

   	Where are your dialectics ?

School Friend :

	Ah ...
	You don't understand !

	You will remember
	When Warren
	Pick up the Grubber
  	And scored that try ?
  	And we pulled off the game
  	Against the odds !

Hooker :

	Oh ...
	I remember Camus

School Friend :

	Yes
  	And that

  	But Union is not like Chess
  	In that many jump not one
  	When the spectator
  	Fully experiences the play

Hooker :

	I remember the high tackle
	I remember Camus !

[ The Doctor pops their head around the door ]

Doctor :

  	Can I have word

Hooker :

  	Here ...

   	Hang on to this for me

[ The Hooker passes the medication in to the hands of the School Friend
and picks up a crutch ]

	Don't go anywhere,
   	Just yet,
   	Will you ?

{ Released under the Free Documentation License.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt }