[ssf] Fw: [g8-sheffield] Climate Change to be discussed in Full Council 2pmWed 7th Sept

Alice Collins Angeltime at btopenworld.com
Wed Aug 31 19:30:08 BST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Jillian Creasy
To: graham wroe ; steve foe ; gp-sheff at yahoogroups.com ; g8
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:22 PM
Subject: [g8-sheffield] Climate Change to be discussed in Full Council 2pmWed 7th Sept

Dear all
(please forward to sympathetic lists/people, Graham can you put the announcement below on the Green party website?)

SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL TO DISCUSS CLIMATE CHANGE ON WED 7TH SEPTEMBER

Full Council (meeting in Town Hall) will receive presentations by:

George Munson, Regional Climate Change Co-ordinator at the Yorkshire and Humber Govt Office on the implications of Climate Change
&
Andy Nolan, Head of Environmental Strategy on the Council's strategy for action.

There will then be an opportunity of Cllrs to ask questions.
There is a slot for "public questions and communications" immediately before this (at 2pm), so although the public can't ask questions during the "debate" anything asked from the gallery would be hard to ignore in the session which followed.

So ... I'm putting out an appeal for
1. People to attend Full Council on that day. Just turn up at about 1.50pm and tell the ushers you want to ask a question from the gallery - you will be shown upstairs and called to speak by the Mayor after any petitioners have spoken (which can take a while!)
2. AND/OR feed any questions to me and I will try to put them - I only get one slot for questions and possibly a second one for comments (actually comes to much the same thing in politics, I've noticed!). It would be very helpful for have your ideas. Should I focus on transport, industry, energy saving in housing, localising the economy, the incinerator, the airport(s)? So much room for improvement I'm in danger of being overwhelmed!

I need your ideas and your support. I want to be as well informed as possible and to represent you, the green-thinking, no-blood-for-oil community. I also want to show SCC, especially Labour, that the people of Sheffield regard climate change as a really important issue and that we are GLAD they have timetabled this session.

Notes
1. Y&H Region produced a Climate Change Action Plan in Feb/March of this year ... you could find it on the web: the thing the Green Party picked out of it was the recommendation to appoint a cabinet level "champion" for climate change. This hasn't quite happened - though they did create a cabinet member for "environment and transport" (Terry Fox).
2. Andy Nolan has moved from a similar role at Sheffield Uni - only taken up post a few months ago.

Thanks!

Cllr Jillian Creasy, Central ward, Sheffield Green Party