[ssf] Happy Together in Burngreave?

dave thompson mpower0 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 18:19:55 GMT 2005

hi
from todays Star, imo, every Sf'er should read our
local paper.
dt

Happy together

A new survey claims life is on the up for the people
of Sheffield's Burngreave district. Fiona Firth spoke
to residents to find out what things are really like.
MORE and more people are happy living on Burngreave,
according to a new MORI study conducted on behalf of
the New Deal for Communities - and it's difficult to
find locals who disagree.
The estate has a suffered from crime - drive-by
shootings and drug gang battles - but there's a
strong, almost old-fashioned community feel to the
Sheffield suburb.
A multicultural melting pot, the shopping areas of
Spital Hill and Ellesmere Road are bustling with
locals, many of them keen to stop for a friendly chat.
But all that could change, they fear, not by New Deal
policies for regeneration but by city council plans to
demolish existing businesses in favour of glossy new
buildings and a supermarket. The master plan is
scheduled to go before cabinet members in March.
Church of England deacon Dave Havard is a volunteer
worker at the Ashram cafe and food shop on Spital Hill
- once the site of the former Pinky's nightclub - and
lives on the premises.
He said: "People are happy with the New Deal which has
included setting up local groups to involve people in
all aspects of development. But the council master
plan to demolish so many of the buildings around here
seems to go against all that.
"There's huge opposition to it. Most of the people
here are just about breaking even but I can't see how
many of us are going to be able to afford to come back
into the planned new development. Nobody's against
regeneration but our dream is to keep the old
buildings and renovate them."
He added: "Burngreave has built up a reputation for
good ethnic restaurants and shops. It's a
multi-cultural area, pretty tolerant and there's not a
lot of aggravation.
"The area around Ashram was a noted area for drug
dealing and fights - someone was killed here when it
was Pinky's - but that's all changed and it's pretty
peaceful on the whole. The stuff that does still
happen is gang-related and doesn't affect the rest of
us."
Husband and wife Janet and Philip Biki, who run
accessories store JB Hats and Things on Ellesmere
Road, agreed.
"When anything happens here, it tends to get
exaggerated," revealed Janet. "For example, a few
weeks ago a man was knocked down near here and
suddenly there were several police cars and talk of a
drive-by shooting. In fact it was just a road
accident.
"Generally, though, the people who live and work here
are quite happy. Most people are in favour of the New
Deal - the people behind it are doing their best to
improve things."
Philip added: "To me, it's a good community and I
think people feel safer since the New Deal started.
There are people patrolling around to make the area
more secure and there are fewer fights than there used
to be."
Pensioner Jean Pickering, of Bressingham Road,
recalled: "At one time there was a lot of trouble with
druggies in the area where I live but it's quiet now.
The whole area is better than it was. It's been
cleaned up and is starting to look much better."
Raja Saddiq has run a supermarket on Spital Hill since
1977 and, like most people, has mixed feelings about
changes to the area.
"This is a mixed ethnic area and people are happy with
the community and with the New Deal but we are waiting
to find out what will happen with the planned shops
development. The council's plans affect 15 to 16 shops
- what will happen to them? People are not happy with
the plans we have heard about so far."
Ahmed Wairah, who runs the nearby discount shop,
added: "The area has become safer since the New Deal
came in and I would say that people are happy. The
only fear is what will happen with the planned
re-development of shops - what we'd like are more jobs
for local people."
Pat Pearce, from Ellesmere Bakery, does not live in
the area but said: "Most people who come in here seem
to like living here, It's clean - Street Force are
always out clearing up here, though the backs of the
shops could do with some attention. I like it round
here and the people seem happy enough - but they want
to know what's happening about the demolition