[ssf] Local news too...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Feb 3 11:49:42 GMT 2005

 From Today's Star
*Save our neighbourhood from bulldozers protest*
http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=935863

A MUSICAL protest aimed at protecting one of Sheffield's district
shopping centres from the bulldozer greeted councillors at the town hall.

Protestors from Burngreave and Pitsmoor later spoke at a meeting of the
full council urging renovation rather than flattening of pubs, shops and
businesses in Spital Hill.

A plan for the area involving demolition and rebuilding would destroy
the identity of one of Sheffield's oldest multicultural districts,
protestors said.

Spokesman Deacon Dave Harvard handed in a petition urging wider public
consultation.

He said he was speaking on behalf of Spital Hill Local Voice, a group of
residents and businesses.

He told councillors: "We were shocked when we were shown the masterplan.
If everything went through we would have very little left of Spital Hill.

"We are not saying we do not want any regeneration, but we want
renovation and not demolition. Some buildings could go but many should
be saved."

Labour's cabinet member for neighbourhoods Coun Chris Weldon said he
would set up a project group involving local people to consider their views.

The proposals have been put forward by government-sponsored regeneration
agencies.

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.