[ssf] Re: [imc-sheffield] Sheffield Radical Newsletter fingy

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Feb 4 01:49:19 GMT 2005

Hia,

Some thoughts:

"I have not seen a single piece of media [web, audio, video, radio or
print] that has accepted advertising."

Here's one that does:

http://print.maineindymedia.org/adinsert.htm

Not that 'look! Someone else does it!' makes it OK.  I mean, these guys
actually give commission to anyone who gets ads!

I personally think that if you're getting money from ads for local
businesses, organic or ethical businesses, it a) gets you dosh and b)
gives them some blessing.  I'm into this coz of my own notions of
supporting local trade (and locally circulating money) over larger
national and international trade and corporations.  This isn't to say
the all local traders are ethical, but most of 'em are hard-working and
aren't buying two houses on the coast of Spain.  (Although some of them
are...!)

I quite understand if people think this is *absolutely not* the route
that IMC should go.  So there are two other options:

1. I'd just go ahead and do the project anyway - and then, if it
happened to make any money, it could just donate it to IMC anyway.

2. The other much more obvious and fluffy way is that we approach
certain organisations, saying:

1. Give us some money.  You've got loads, we've got none, and we want to
print a filthy radical newsletter, and we want to run workshops to
support it.  (I think WEA may well be up for this.)
2. But we won't promote you.  Sorry, it's in our guidelines.  Now giz
the dosh.

This leaves us in the 'backed by three organisations' situation that I
mentioned could be a problem that a wide advertising base solves.  But
it's kinda swings and roundabouts, really.  I guess Sheffield IMC might
be the laughing stock of radical folk if we started taking advertising.
One has one's reputation to think of....

... the other option there is open affiliation: a wider list of people
who we *do* mention on the backsheet, in name only, who have contributed.

Anyway, worth talking about, eh???  This may well give enough money to
do a monthly print-run.  Shall we try that first?  Easy, really, when
you think of it.

I wonder if such a thing counts as art?  If so, an Arts Council app
might be appropriate.

I also wonder, following r7, if it could be a pennines thing -
Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester?

Didn't Sheffield Digger get a bit of funding from a union at one point?

Cheers 4 feedback,

Dan
----