[ssf] [Fwd: Nelson Mandela]

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:16:52 GMT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Nelson Mandela
Date: 	Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:12:00 -0600
From: 	Make Poverty History <comicrelie at ProcessRequest.com>
To: 	<chrismalins at gmail.com>

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY

Nelson Mandela delivers his speech to the crowds at Trafalgar Square

*We thought you should know that today Nelson Mandela issued a rallying
cry to make poverty history in front of over 22,000 people in Trafalgar
Square and backed the campaign that you are such a vital part of. *

The former South African President, who was wearing a white band
throughout his address, said: "Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is
not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the
actions of human beings.

"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of
justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right; the right to
dignity and a decent life. While poverty persists, there is no true
freedom.

"Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great
generation. Let your greatness blossom. Of course the task will not be
easy. But not to do this would be a crime against humanity, against
which I ask all humanity now to rise up.

"Make poverty history in 2005. Make history in 2005. Then we can all
stand with our heads held high."

Tomorrow Mr Mandela meets with the G7 leaders ahead of their critical
meeting this weekend. For more information about today's speech visit
our site <http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/>. We will tell you more
about what happens as soon as we can.

Thank you to everyone who was part of the great event today; together we
/can/ make poverty history.

The Make Poverty History team

unsubscribe
<http://WWW.PROCESSREQUEST.COM/apps/remove2.asp?oid=UdegbBE&sid=XbjdefjhDI&cid=ZdcdebdhebCI&iclitemid=XbgbbfadBH&tid=WbijegfDD>