[ssf] Re: Draft announcements: free text consultancy:

Amparo amparo.gutierrez at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 00:34:29 GMT 2005

Sorry guys I have been struggling to understand what didn't quite "fit "
in the draft announcement text (I mean the one yet unpublished) and
thought that it lacks a thread. A thread is missing giving "coherence"
and consistency to the different "plots" (that is, sub- actions and
campaigns) going on under the SSF umbrella.

So that the different causes , Peace in the Park, Make Poverty History,
DefyG8, Save Burngreave, Defend Benefits, No2id, etc. lack
1)not a general context (already explained in the heading i think)
but
2) A narrative, a common thread joining and interrelating so that it
does not give the impression of jumping from one to the next, even if
this is a listing.

3) so my idea is  a draft (not too vague I hope) , something like start
re-writing all the slogans or proper names of
the campaigns into a kind of ordered structure:
(this is an idea for the next issue or the post announcement, too)

Finally i just came out with SUBHEADINGS (to be added)

(beginning of your text) (..........)
>> as well as productive talk and action-planning.
>> Here's a list of some
>> of the things we know will be going on - and please
>> let us know if you
>> have something you particularly want to talk about.

HERE ADD:
OUR GOALS FOR THIS PERIOD ARE: (.........) DEFY the G8, MAKE POVERTY
HISTORY, DEFY WAR

OR WE ARE SAYING :

NO TO
>> *The G8 , No to Poverty,  No to War
YES TO
PEACE (for Peace in the Park)

(And then the details):

>> *Peace in the Park itself will be taking place on
>> Saturday June 11th.
>> [Website?] SSF will be hosting a 'Speakeasy' tent
>> there, and working
>> with others to prepare, for example by going into
>> schools to run
>> awareness-raising workshops around global issues -
>> with the ultimate
>> goal of hosting a 'youth parliament' (or something
>> less stuffy) at Peace
>> in the Park

(HERE ADD):
OTHER VISITORS ARE:
or WE ARE SAYING YES TO "Venezuela"

(and details here)
>> *Sheffield now has its own 'Sheffield 2 Venezuela
>> preparatory
>> committee', who are working to get a delegation to
>> Venezuela in August
>> for the Youth and Student Festival there.
>> Hopefully, they'll be coming
>> along too.

GOAL: SAVE BURNGREAVE
OR we are saying NO TO BURNGREAVE DEMOLITION MASTERPLAN

(and here the details following):

>> *The Burngreave Masterplan has ruffled some
>> feathers, entailing as it
>> does large-scale demolition, and triggered a local
>> fight-back.  SSF is
>> getting stuck in, looking for ways to hold planning
>> minister Keith Hill
>> to his words... which were, rather shockingly, 'Let
>> the People Decide!'

GOAL: DEFEND BENEFITS
OR WE ARE SAYING NO TO DISABILITY WELFARE CUTS

>> *Building on previous work done around the impending
>> disability welfare
>> cuts, we'll be working to raise awareness of what's
>> going on, on the
>> hardships faced by people on disability benefits -
>> and how much worse it
>> could get if Blair gets his way.  How can we support
>> a group who are so
>> often ignored and sidelined?  Can you help too?

OTHER VISITORS: CREATIVE ACTION NETWOR, GOAL LANTERN FESTIVAL
OR WE ARE SAYING
YES TO A LANTERN FESTIVAL AND CELEBRATION.

(and here details)

>> *Get yer creative juices flowing!  Creative Action
>> Network - those
>> responsible for Sharrow's awe-inspiring lantern
>> carnival, will be there
>> on the 17th, as well as various other folk looking
>> to put their creative
>> talents to good use.  If you want to come and join
>> in, there'll be
>> opportunities to talk about and plan any number of
>> possibilities,
>> including...

GOAL: PUBLISH A NEW SHEFFIELD RADICAL NEWSLETTER and PROMOTE THE
DEMOCRACY CAFES.
OR WE ARE SAYING YES TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

(details here)