[ssf] HELP! - Planning the 17th

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:21:57 GMT 2005

I'll suggest a structure for the meeting, but I'm away for the weekend
and on Tuesday evening and busy Wednesday evening and maybe Monday, so
might struggle to meet people.

I'd suggest that we start the meeting with everyone sat down together to
hear brief intros from each campaign. I personally believe that these
should be kept rigorously short, perhaps only 2 minutes each, as we'll
still easily go 20 minutes or more that way if there are several causes
represented, and I don't think that will be the most productive part of
the meeting. After this I would suggest that we split the group into
maybe four sections by topic, with some swift chair rearrangements by a
few fleet footed volunteers. Each of those sessions should have a
pre-ordained facilitator, preferably who is willing to engage very
little in the discussion, and who will enforce rigorously timekeeping,
and try to prevent discussions from going in circles. All comments
should be addressed through the facilitator, with the content of the
session hopefully driven by one or more representatives of the specific
campaign in question rather than the facilitator. After maybe 30 mins of
this, I would suggest a tea and nibbles break, which will be about an
hour in to the meeting as a whole, which should be a good opportunity to
mingle. Maybe half an hour for this, followed by a second division into
groups which we should try to use as the prime time to engage those in
attendance we don't know in debate, and the individuals already involved
in campaigns might hopefully take a back seat. I think we should
encourage and lay out seats so as to make possible free movement between
groups at this point, and set aside a space for non-facilitated
discussions for individuals who would like to further develop ideas with
each other. Bring it all back with a summary of the topics and hopefully
a set of ideas to take forward, which someone who is not facilitating a
group should compile in the last five minutes or so of the group session
with the help of group facilitators.

Go to pub.

Lantern making and other creativity focussed activity may not fit this
model perfectly, individual structure should be suggested by relevant
people.

This model is intended to take ~2h15mins, which I think is an
appropriate time for the body of the meeting. After this I would suggest
more tea and nibbles and continued creativity would be an alternative to
immediate adjournment to the pub.

Chris