[ssf] G8 callout

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Feb 24 10:45:20 GMT 2005

Allo

This is cool! It should get people in - and it's got stuff about
alternatives.

One thing that needs changing: Peace in the Park is no longer on June
11th.  It's most likely now going to happen way after all the G8 stuff.
So like I was saying - the onus is now on us to get something sorted for
the weekend before, and leading up to, the G7.

Oh, and I think it's G7 ministers coming here - dunno what we think
about that.

So lots to talk about next Wednesday.

Cheers for all this Mr M,

Dan
----

"On 16th-17th June, 2005, the G8 justice ministers will meet in
Sheffield. They will be discussing how to prosecute Bush's 'War on
Terror'. They are the justice of indefinite detention without judicial
review, the type of justice that takes you abroad if the local laws
won't allow torture, that at Guantanamo Bay treats American citizens one
way and everyone else (including British citizens) in another.

They are the people who think that inspiring a lively sense of terror in
their subjects makes ID cards ok, and that keeping out asylum seekers
who are not quite oppressed enough is more important than social justice
for their own people. And this will be the first round of our
protestation to the G8 that another, better world can, should and will
be possible if only they will let it.

And so the people of Sheffield are calling on the movement for action to
be taken and alternatives to be presented to these people. We are
offering our support for any groups coming to Sheffield, suggesting the
Sheffield Peace in the Park festival on 11th June as the start of a
week  of counter conference events, and offering the Sheffield Social
Forum as a coordinating space for action."

Any thoughts welcome, don't worry about hurting my feelings, just know
that if you stand against me now my retribution will be swift and
merciless. Ahem, I think Dan's megalomania is rubbing off. Seriously,
please kick this around and start some discussion on what we want this
statement to say, lets have a view to releasing it by this time next week.