[ssf] G8 - openness and planning thoughts...

Jase spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 25 00:59:24 GMT 2005

1. Openness I would agree with. Some peoples actions do not converge with
openness. I think if SSF takes an open stance then that in a way solves the
non-violence thing. People who want to go down that route go elsewhere. I
wouldn't say the paranoia is entirely misplaced, look at the attack on the
Genoa SSF centre in that G8 meeting, but then Italy is not the UK, and
thankfully in this country there is less of an oppositional stance in the
civil authorities which would, and did in Italy, permit such an action. Also
being open means if anything did happen we could point out just how stupid it
was.

2. I'm betting the chamber of commerce:) It would be good to have media
stunts/public attractions to promote awareness of what is happening. A main
thing would not be to dumb down, explain the facts, facts facts. Why are they
here, what are they discussing, and why we, a bunch of moderately disperate
folks, are not happy with a small group of 'representatives' deciding policy
which will be implemented whatever because democracy is such a distant and
complex matter. Exploring the issues is a must, there will be plenty of
soundbites about 'stopping terrorists' and enhancing the 'security of the
whole world', the challenge will be exploring the issues in an accessible way
which leads on to...

3. Really good stuff on the schools funding, and the workshop ideas sound
good, especially relevant will be:
*What do you think is the best way to deal with terrorism?
That is the lead in to all of the ideas about loyalties, community,
nationhood, religion and so on. Will need some good facilitators and materials
tho' (he says helpfully...)
On the G8 I think it would be good to open up the whole question of democracy,
how it works from a street level of, "we think that's not right so don't do it
or we'll kick off", to an international level of, "we think that's not right
so don't do it or we'll kick off". Similarity between gangs and groups in
schools and gangs and groups on an international level would work well I
think.Combine that with the problem of how you, the one, influences people who
'represent', but who do they really represent, and so on.
Immigration is a toughie, facts are hugely important, but preaching will just
create distance and shut down communication. It is important to divide between
asylum seekers (who come here to preserve their physical freedom) and
immigrants (who come here for economic freedom). The facts on benefits,
housing, how immigrant labourers are usually ripped off, how the whole economy
relies on immigrant labour and is that right? The case of the teenager who was
raped, traffiked to london, kept as a prostitute, then escaped, only to be
interrogated and imprisoned by the authorities, will highlight the injustices
of a paranoid system which does not appreciate the horrors people face.
And now I'm going on so...

4. Creativity is a must. Sure people from Sheffield Samba band, (and Rhythms
of Resistance?) will be interested in taking part. The lantern people, peace
in the park people, there's loads of creative stuff going on. Would be good if
there could be a focus type meeting, maybe along CAN lines. Cartoons are great
informing tools, G8 art workshops, etc etc

Generally the focus could be the JHA meeting in Shef but also should look at
the wider G8 issues. And yes shouting slogans at each other does not heal the
world, then again neither do ideas, actions being the thing that changes
stuff, so I'll shut up:) Cheers,

Jason

p.s. I would say for the call-out it's not the 'the people of Sheffield' but
'people in Sheffield', 'people of' kind of implies all of them, and that
certainly ain't the case, well yet anyways.