[Ssf] G8, Peace in the Park, etc...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Jan 5 12:54:40 GMT 2005

On the G8, counter-conferences, etc - here's an e-mail I sent to the PiP
organisers, and the reply I got.  Their next meeting is this Monday, I
believe: see end of e-mail for details.  This is, I reckon, well worth
pursuing.  Another e-mail to follow...

----
Dan:

At last year's PiP, SSF and New Roots organised a 'democracy cafe'.  At
the time - far too late - I began thinking about the 'leftfield'
possibilities that we could have done.  ('Leftfield' being the political
encampment that happens every year at Glastonbury.)

For this year?  Well - I would be very keen to work with PiP on thinking
about how to bring politics into the festival - not dull, usual leftie
politics, but really thinking about how to make it something special and
participatory, with a wide range of events. (There were a lot of
politicy stalls at the last one, and these should obviously still happen
- but there's more of an opportunity to get these people debating,
arguing and networking!)

There's even a chance, I think, that SSF folk might prefer to throw
themselves into this, rather than plan our own 'event'. We had already
been discussing having another full 'Sheffield Social Forum' to coincide
with the pre-G8 security and anti-terrorism conference which is
scheduled to happen in mid-June, so the idea of fitting in with that is
a good one.

I think it would be particularly good because PiP is (for me) all about
positive alternatives and how another world might be possible - rather
than just blind protest and anger.

Anyway, I'll pop along to the next meeting, and we can talk about it
then.  But whoever's on this list, what do you think?

---- Reply:

Yes, absolutely definately the success of the democracy cafe last year
should be built on - well done for that! There is more time now to plan
what should be one of the main focal points at the festival. One of the
things we discussed at the meeting was whether the political element was
strong enough at last years festival. Also discussed was the festivals
relevance to the G8 summit. I didn't know that there was to be a
conference in Sheffield! What better opportunity for debate than that.
Maybe we should invite delagates to come join in!!! We were thinking of
mid July as a date anyway.

PITP is and should be increasingly a platform from which
positive/constructive solutions are put forward. The Democracy Cafe is
central to this agenda. It would be wondeful if SSF and New Roots would
like to organise this again. There are obviously going to be many issues
up for discussion and PITP does not in anyway need to be an alternative
to SSF's own event - it maybe necessary, in fact, to have both events.
Nothing has been decided as of yet, so please use PITP for whatever
ideas you have. As I say, we have more time now, so maybe inviting
people to come and speak/join in debate will be easier this year (last
year we talked about Benjamin Zephania, Mark Thomas and Tony Ben, but
there are obviously many people who would be appropriate).

The next metting is on mon 17th Jan @ Portland works, Randall ST (off
Bramall Ln), I think @ 7pm, not quite sure - will let u know. Thankyou
for your e-mail. Glad you want to be involved again. Look forward to
seeing you at the meeting.

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.