[Ssf] Shock news! Nick Griffin not standing in Burngreave!

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Jan 10 17:51:59 GMT 2005

*BNP leader to stand in Yorkshire*

The leader of the British National party is to stand in one of the most
racially sensitive constituencies in the next general election, party
officials confirmed today.

Nick Griffin, 45, is to stand for Keighley in West Yorkshire, an area
that featured in an undercover BBC TV documentary that showed party
activists apparently confessing to race-hate crimes.

He will be set against the Labour MP Ann Cryer, who won the seat from
the Conservatives in 2001 with a majority of 4,005 votes.

A BNP spokesman said Mr Griffin was looking forward to the contest. He
said: "There has been a request from local people for the BNP to stand
in the Keighley ward.

"We already have a number of councillors in the area and we are just
responding to the public request."

Mrs Cryer said she was disappointed with the news and said she wished
the BNP would "just disappear from view".

She said: "They're a malign influence on British politics and on racial
relations in Keighley.

"Keighley needs them like a hole in the head. They're not a force for
good in the area.

"The good people of Keighley and Ilkley will demonstrate to them that
their policies are completely unacceptable."

[So no 1930s street-fight re-enactments for us then. Ah well.]

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.