[Ssf] Including...

noone noone machinevman at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 17:37:05 GMT 2005

  I think that it is the nature of email and internet communication that
leads to some people not wanting to say too much too early, I think that it
is really difficult comiting to somthing that you are not sure about and to
people that you may have only met a few times.  It takes time to build trust
and understanding and instant emails don't lend themselves to this task.

  As for political meetings, unfortunatly, those that are use to them are
going to find it far easier to make their point and those that arent will
find it more difficult to make their point.  Whats more, because alot of
people (and especially the experienced ones) want to make their own mark on
the meeting other will be left on the side lines and the meeting will be
alot slower.  Lots of other factors are in play also e.g. gender inbalances
and the more it seems like a few people dominate the more extreme ideas need
to be thought up to re-balance the meeting e.g. going around and letting
everyone have a chance to speak or using some sort of magic microphone and
these ideas tend to slow the meeting down even more.

  I think that there is something wrong with the way people communicate in
meetings, especially when compared to real life.  In a meeting when anyone
talks the spot light is on them and when someone asks a question the spot
light can end up being ping ponged between two individuals, effectivly
excluding everyone else.  In a two hour meeting if an agenda is not produced
a good few days before the meeting then when one is produced (often two
minutes before the meeting begins) it gives people very little time to think
things through and make sensible suggestions.  Once individual personalities
are taken into account often a conflict in a meeting ends up being because
of personalities clashing/grating and some people not being able to get on
with others, in real life if i dont get on with someone then i dont have to
spend time with them - problem solved.  In political life if people dont get
on with each other often it ends up with some people leaving the group or
just not taking part.

I don't know what the solution is but i think that being aware of our own
behavour/actions is definatly a step in the right direction.

from
cuthbert