[Ssf] MPH meeting

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:06:09 GMT 2005

I did make the MPH meeting today, and Dan, if it makes you feel any
better, your apology made it even if you didn't.

The key point for us as the SSF is that MPH events should where possible
be driven by individual organisations rather than the Steering Group,
which will act to coordinate. Therefore, its vital that we should get in
the driving seat with ideas such as for PiP, but also for any
contributions we can make to things like the Global week of action.

Also, if people want to go to Scotland for the whole G8, there is not
currently (that I am aware of) any coordination of transport, so it
would make sense to start sounding out numbers and seeing whether we can
get a group together if anyone does want to do that. I do.

Anyway, I'll give you all a quick update on what was said:

On recruitment of support:

The TUC have said they would like to be kept in the loop but not attend
local meetings. The Mother's Guild (something like that anyway) are not
unsympathetic but have their own activities to pursue. Friends of the
Earth are on board. Greenpeace are sympathetic, but will consult with
national office before formally endorsing. Wilpf (Women's international
league for peace and freedom, I think) are on board and represented.

Events upcoming:

Tomorrow (Friday) night, Caroline Lucas, Green Alternatives to
Globalisation, Victoria Hall, 7.30pm. She's great.

Jan 27th CAAT(Campaign Against the Arms Trade) meeting with MPH focus,
Friends Meeting House on James Street.

Feb 2nd Wednesday, speaker from Somaliland at Christian Aid meeting,
'supper' time at St Matthews apon Carver's Street.

Feb 15th will be SMPH launch event held at the university and organised
by People and Planet with support of Christian Aid, Oxfam, WDM and
Cafod. There will be stalls and information outside somewhere around the
  underpass during the day, and speakers on each campaign strand in the
Arts Tower in a Lecture theatre at 7.30, poss. with a short film. The
campaign in Sheffield will be intorduced by the SMPH chair, and the
university campaign will be introduced by People and Planet.

Feb 21st Oxfam at REM concert in Arena by invitation, rasing Make Trade
Fair and MPH issues and flyering.

March 1-13 Fairtrade Fortnight

Global week of action (9th-16th April)

9th - Oxfam, Christian Aid etc organise training conference in
Manchester for 'multipliers' ie people who go otu and get more people
involved. All welcome, £5.

Wilpf will be sending Patricia hewitt postcards emphasising the effect
on women of poverty.

13th - Religious(!) lobby of parliament. One for the bible bashers
amongst us.

15th - Candlelit overnight vigils for the poverty stricken to be held in
Whitehall, and locally in Leeds at holy Trinity Church and outside it
weather permitting

Ideas for further eents actively encouraged, led by member organisations.

The G8 summit:

July 2nd, Saturday, protest in Edinburgh in support of MPH. SMPH will
send a coach, 48 people. leave Fridsay, return Saturday.
children/students £25 or others £30 for travel only. With overnight
accommodation included: £70/£75. If anyone on this list is interested,
contact me, and i will find the relevant contact details.

Next meeting is 12.30-2pm, Thursday 24th Feb, venue tbc.

Chris

PS. I didn't mind so much the content of Mozaz's little excerpt, as the
fact that it demanded to be read. The demand to be read was rather
inappropriate. I thought.