[ssf] Fwd: ACT

dave thompson mpower0 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 01:26:49 GMT 2005

hi
They seem to be a charter 88 'return our democracy
outfit',some serious backing though. I wondered when
such an  organisation based completely on civil
society would appear. Politics abhors a vacuum, so
with New Labours headlong rush to the right, we can
expect to see many such new initatives, not just
social forums. Unfortunately i think we will also see
them on the right as well, soaking up other perceived
grievances. One such mooted link up is between FTJ
andd the countryside alliance though it is being hotly
denied by the CA, there will be others.

dt
--- Alan Dawson <aland at burngreave.net> wrote:

> [...]
> organizations and community
> groups, into an effective political movement driving
> this democracy and
> sustainability agenda. We will publicly support
> those politicians who back this
> agenda, and expose those who do not.
>

> ACT’s four launch campaigns are: 1) The
> Representation of the People (Local
> Electoral Systems) Bill; 2) Statutory Carbon
> Reduction Targets, and Supportive
> Tax Codes; 3) a Bill of Sustainability Rights,
> supported by a written
> constitution; 4) The Sustainable Communities Bill.
> (See Launch Pack for
> details).
>

> Charles Secrett, Co-Director, stated: “Britain’s
> economy and way of life are not
> sustainable. We consume too much, pollute too much,
> and government tolerates
> too many environmental, social and economic
> injustices. Politicians think there
> are no votes in the environment, no votes in
> democracy and no votes in a new
> constitution. ACT aims to change that.”
>

> Ron Bailey, Co-Founder and Co-Director of C88,
> stated: “ACT is flagging up two
> of the fundamental flaws in our democracy: the
> increasing inability of
> parliament to hold the executive to account ,and the
> complete lack of any
> facility by which electors cans hold their own MPs
> to account.  By trying to
> build a non-party citizens movement around those two
> issues, and by linking the
> issue of democracy to sustainability, ACT is filling
> an important political
> vacuum.  It must succeed!”
>
> For further information, please contact:
>

> Charles Secrett, Co-Director ACT: (w) 020-7833-9898;
> (m) 079770-16119
>

> Ron Bailey, Co-Director ACT: (w) 020-7833-9898; (m)
> 07951-761229
>

> Stephen Shaw, ACT Network Coordinator: (w)
> 020-7833-9898; mobile 07788-646933
>
> ACT website: www.actnetwork.org.uk
>
> E-mail contact: info at actnetwork.org.uk
>

> NOTES TO EDITORS:
>
> 1) ACT has been founded and set up by Charles
> Secrett , Ron Bailey, and Martyn
> Williams.
>
> Charles Secrett, Co-Founder ACT: Director, Friends
> of the Earth 1993-2003.
> Started peaceful direct action campaigns with
> communities to protect threatened
> nature reserves in Britain (1981); began the first
> Rainforest campaign (1985),
> including widespread consumer boycotts and
> constituent political lobbying; and,
> at FOE, prioritized the development of citizen
> action, consumer/shareholder
> pressure and constituent campaigns, including on
> environmental justice issues,
> GM foods, fuel-poverty, habitat protection, and
> traffic reduction (1993-1999).
>
> Ron Bailey, Co-Founder ACT: From his initiation of
> the squatters’ movement in
> 1968 to the present day, Ron Bailey has always been
> a keen advocate of citizen
> mobilisation.  He set up the Parliamentary Units at
=== message truncated ===
---------------------------------

Do you all know about this?

Saleema

[...]

injustices. Politicians think there are no votes in

E-mail contact: info at actnetwork.org.uk

[...]

FOE and ACE, and has been responsible for over 20
successful campaigns to change legislation on
environment and democracy issues.

2) ACT’s Board members are: John Jackson (Chair of
Countryside Alliance and Board of openDemocracy); Judy
Ling Wong (Director, Black Environment Network);
Stuart Weir (former Editor New Statesman, and founder
of Charter88); Helen Furtado (London First); Richard
Sandbrook, (former Director of International Institute
for Environment and Development); Martyn Williams
(co-founder ACT, and Parliamentary Coordinator for
Friends of the Earth) and Andrew Warren, (Director, of
the Association for the Conservation of Energy).

3) ACT has agreed campaign partnerships with Charter88
and the New Politics Network, and is jointly running
campaigns with them for a written constitution, the
Bill of Sustainability Rights and for Local Electoral
choice.

4) ACT Launch Meetings: 10 January, London; 12
January, Cardiff; 13 January, Norwich; 17 January,
Birmingham; 18 January, Tunbridge Wells; 19 January,
Leeds; 20 January, Truro; 21 January, Bristol; 24
January, Plymouth; 25 January, Oxford; 26 January,
Brighton; 27 January, Southampton; 31 January,
Sheffield; 1 February, Newcastle; 2 February,
Manchester; 3 February, Cambridge. Launch meetings in
Edinburgh and Belfast will take place later this
Spring.

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF ADDRESS
Sheffield Community Recycling Action Programme  -
SCRAP promotes recycling schemes to benefit local
communities in Sheffield.
40 Earsham Street,Pitsmoor, Sheffield, S4 7LS.
tel: 0114 2755055 / 0114 2755599, fax: 0114 2755055.
Company limited by guarantee no. 2236177, charity
no.1002780
Registered office 127 Spital Hill, Pitsmoor, Sheffield
S4 7LD.