[ssf] 16th Febr: ID campaigners offer participation (Amparo)

jym jim jymjim at postmaster.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:27:10 GMT 2005

Hi Amparo and others on list,

Hope the meeting yesterday was productive, my apologies again for missing this one.

Tbe absolute primary activity for all those supporters you mention Amparo, and anyone on here, is to start writing letters to their MPs.

Send them by snail mail, and make them individual - standard letters will have no effect once the MP sees a few the same.

I've been told by an MP that even 20 letters on one topic will have a big impact on them.

I've also been trying to get No2ID to promote a "mass lobby day" : A day, or couple of days according to when people can go, when anyone who is against the ID card bill should go to the Houses of Parliament, lobby their MP, and tell them exactly what the problems are with the bill.

This is a MAJOR way of getting MPs attention, because they are not used to people jus attending parliament and demanding to see them, and is something that needs to happen, and soon.

Coach travel is dirt cheap, and it makes a good day out.

Unfortunatly, No2ID have not seemed very interested in promoting the idea, and with only a few weeks untill the bill sees its 3rd reading (Afterwhich it goes to the lords, and out of reach of MPs for a while) if you can possibly go down for a day, seriously consider doing so.

If people who are against this awful bill do not start making a fuss directly with the people voting on it, no amount of leafleting or meetings is going to effect it....

So pester no2id to put the idea on their main page for everyone to see, and, above all, pester your MP, in PERSON if you can possibly do so!

I will post later about my meeting with Sheffield Heeley MP Meg Munn yesterday in Parliament, and also a little about the ID card Committees i've been sitting in on, because their have been some interesting statements made so far.

Oh, btw, has anyone on here been in touch with a Liverpool based Anti ID group, because a friend of mine tells me they arranging a meeting with SSF - anyone know anything about this?

Regards
james