the Panopticon IS Re: [ssf] some MORE thoughts by Michel Foucault

@mparo robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 14:46:12 GMT 2005

(By the way I do object to excluding mozaz, since Dan has said "if
nobody objects...").

The Panopticon, terrible weapon of mass mental destruction.

Michel Foucault analyzed in depth the nature of prisons and
imprisonment, the concepts of locking up the poor and insane.

And again in Power and the Norm, he refers to the relevance of
"reporting to" (your hierarchical superiors):

"3. A knowledge of Inquisition: the arrest of an individual was always
accompanied by a report on his behaviour.

In the 19th century, these techniques were revived according to two
major principles:
a. henceforth every agent of power became a means of developing
knowledge; every agent of power had to send back to those from whom his
power had been delegated, specific knowledge corresponding to the power
he exercised. That is to say, any given order had to be matched by a
report on the way that order had been carried out, the conditions which
made its execution possible or impossible, the effects of the order and
the possible corrections to be made. The chief constables, the attorney
generals, were tied to this obligation of the report.

"b. The Report as a form of the relations between Power and Knowledge.
(If the report had existed before this, it was only as a periodic thing,
as a custom. The systematising, the institutionalising of this report
made by every agent of Power to his superior, is a phenomenon which has
been as important in the history of the relations between Power and
Knowledge as the invention of double-entry book-keeping was to the
mediaeval economy, or the invention of feedback is for modern
technology). Linked to the Report, a series of specific instruments was
introduced for the purposes of abstraction and generalisation, for
making estimates, statistical work, etc. Statistics became a State
science, giving rise to something like Sociology. (Philosophical
critiques of abstraction have often been produced, as has the history of
the experimental method. It is time a history of the administrative
extraction of Knowledge was drawn up).

(......)
"Psychiatry is another example. The power of the psychiatrist was
institutionalised by the law of 1838 which, by making the psychiatrist a
person who had to be consulted before anybody could be imprisoned, gave
psychiatric knowledge a certain degree of Power."