[ssf] [Fwd: FW: Info for Sheffields Ministers meeting]

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Mar 9 09:53:15 GMT 2005

See message about Derby below...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	FW: Info for Sheffields Ministers meeting
Date: 	Wed, 9 Mar 2005 03:54:50 -0500 (EST)
From: 	yikes <donteventhinkaboutit at myway.com>
To: 	dan at aktivix.org, dan at activix.org.uk

Dear Dan,

I phoned you before the Sheffield meeting about the security G8 ministerials saying I would email you about the Derby stuff and some other stuff about the meeting.... I did do this, but it bounced back a day after the meeting. I now think I have your right address, so I am trying again (sorry!).

If you have another meeting, could you say some of the following as appropriate:

Derby Environment and Development Ministers meeting:
The main info for the event is on the flier. We basically decided that because of the lay out of the land, it is very easy for the police to defend the hotel, and it is unlikely that we could easily blockade or disrupt the meeting... so we went for a spectacular awareness raising event.

We will be highlighting the governments new road building policy through causing some road disruption with the critical mass. We plan to hand out loads of fliers at the street party, and the Challenge Anneky event gives people a chance to take a pop at the hotel, in a humorous manner.

It would be great if people came prepared to take an active part in the event. Bring yer bikes, bring costumes, banners, music eqpt, and of course, jumpsuits and blond wigs for the afternoon. Come prepared to have some fun!

Day of action around refugees at the G8
At the last national Dissent! gathering, there was talk of organising a day of action around refugees as part of the week of action against the G8 in Scotland. There is already the No Borders Demo at Dungeval detention centres on Sunday July 3rd. A group of people were talking about trying to organise some actions that could break down the isolation that refugees are subjected to. This might be a huge march through areas of Glasgow where refugees are dispersed to. The plan was to form some sort of lasting action network around this topic.

There will be a meeting about this at the Festival of Dissent! (6-10th April - the actual meeting time / date has not been set yet). If people are interested in getting involved, could an email list be collated and sent to this email - I will get them on the email list for the organising group.

Cheers Dan, I hope that is all clear.

Eleanor
PS You can call me on 0845 458 9595 or  0115 962 0839 if there are any problems etc