[ssf] Don't let em bring in the cleansing machines!

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Mar 11 18:52:25 GMT 2005

Allo,

I'm hatching a plot... er, hang on, no I'm not, let me re-phrase: I've
had an idea, which I've mentioned to a few others, which it would be
nice to follow through on.

It involves tracing the polices, ideas and general political moods that
lead all the way from the G8 to the knocking down of Fir Vale, Spital
Hill and other areas around the country.

If you haven't yet, I *really* urge you to listen to the radio 4 prog on
the Housing Renewal Pathfinder scheme. It's repeated on Sunday at 5, or
you can listen to it at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/file_on_4/4327431.stm

(I've also recorded a copy / converted to mp3, if anyone wants a copy.)

It clearly shows that there are three assumptions - more or less hidden
- that I'd pick on -

1. Most of the money is coming from private developers. - and they won't
get out of bed unless there's a sizeable plot to redevelopment - or as
one council regen boss says in the r4 prog, they wouldn't even pick up
the phone to him for anything less.
2. It's about market renewal. Doesn't actually matter who lives there
once it's renewed.
3. Notice that there's no way we can build council houses now. No more
public for us. We need to trace the links to global trade and services
policies, and show how G8 play their role in this.

Something else I'd *love* to get hold of - there was a lib dem promo
'newsletter' from the council, in 2001 I think, talking about the Heart
of the City project. It specifically says it will benefit the rest of
the city because of the trickle-down effect. Again - who let this kind
of economic gibberish into the city?

If anyone wants to work on this with me, I'd mucho appreciate it. We
could pester various experts on things like GATS, and the kind of
pre-GATS arrangements already in place that mean that public spending on
housing counts as a trade barrier.

On the right making as much sense as the left - it's a difficult one,
because political distinctions aren't as sharp any more.

For example, anyone who's fighting 'global capitalism' (which for many
on the right is merely a euphemism for 'international jewry') uses that
language. Anyone who fights for localism against evil corporations
sucking out the heart of communities is close to saying the same thing
too. (What's the difference between a supermarket coming in to your
community and taking all the money - and all the dosh that gets sent to
foreign countries in payments back home?)

We need to think about how close those two things are: being against
foreign money / corporations and being for all immigration, regardless.
(No borders.) My own opinion is that neither extreme is particularly
well thought-out.

But then - why think it out well? Politics is - as much as some of us
wouldn't want it to be - an emotional, anecdotal affair. For example, I
keep on hearing, "Weeeelll.... it's all because women started going to
work, isn't it? That's when things went wrong," Not to decry the role of
the media in shaping this perception - but even so, we can cite
statistics about how women going to work has, on the whole, increased
social capital and made for more vibrant communities (not to mention the
small matter of the increased freedom and empowerment of just over half
the population..!). But people, mostly, will trust their own experience
- and where they don't have any experience, their prejudices - more.

Basically, it's all just a game. A horrible game where some people die,
some live, some live in misery and some wallow in obscene wealth. Some
believe in progress through rational argument, others believe our
instincts are the capital and bank of the ages, to be trusted above all
else. And whatever happens, we can be sure of one thing only: the
consequences of our actions will never, ever be what we wanted them to be.

So in the meantime, maybe we should just be nice to each other and smile
a lot.

What happened to me, I'm ranting! Stop! Stooop!

Dan
----