[ssf] [Fwd: world bank mentality]

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Mar 23 15:12:19 GMT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	world bank mentality
Date: 	Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:58:56 +0000
From: 	tom stafford
To: 	Dan <dan at aktivix.org>

“From time to time, I have to look a Minister in the eye and say
something like; if you carry out this policy, I expect that 200,000
children will die in the city this year. However, as a result of the
price mechanism put in place, I would expect that in four years’ time,
400,000 children of farmers will live who would otherwise have died. I
do not have any conclusive evidence for this conclusion. The process by
which I arrived at this estimate would
certainly not pass the peer review process of any Western economics
journal. Nevertheless I strongly advise you to take this course of
action. There is a kind of rush that comes with having this kind of
power, and some people get addicted to it."

http://crookedtimber.org/2005/03/22/wolfowitz-for-the-world-bank/
--

Tom Stafford
tom at idiolect.org.uk