[ssf] US 'to launch bombs from unmanned spacecraft'

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:42:08 BST 2005

There is no record that I can find on the Telegraph website of having
published this article. Dunno what that means! I don't know why they
have credited to the Telegraph if it is not their article. Source story
can however be found in the Washington Post of the day before though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38272-2005Mar15.html

so I assume that the gist of the information is accurate.

Its an interesting example of the increasing unilateral militarisation
of space by America. Aside from anything else, by turning space into a
theatre of war, the US gives itself justification to prevent any
non-aligned country from using space for commercial and scientific
purposes, it will be interesting to see how much pressure the Chinese
space program may come under in coming years. Although there is
currently little evidence of this sort of thinking from the US, it may
be worthy of note that this sort of capability does slightly reduce the
need of the Us military fro forward bases in allied nations, eg in the
Middle East, and that in the evnt that usch bases were dismantled, that
would be at least a small positive outcome. The deployment of
sub-orbital bombers is in line with the trend towards high altitude high
technology bomb deployment, and this is not in particular a sinister
outcome, although it does blur the line between sub-orbital capability
(planes with bombs that go high, and orbital strike capacity (a massive
orbiting battle-station death star with the capability to obliterate the
world). While worth noting that achieving any sort of accuracy from
space is an example of high precision technology, it is also worth
noting that in this context high precision is unlikely to be precise
enough to actually hit exactly the right target, based on contemporary
precision bombing failure rates.

Certainly the availability of an automated global strike system with
which a president can take out any object on the face of the planet (or
at least something quite near it) is a worrying development in the
objectification of strike force.

Chris