[ssf] The body keeps on rotting, as the soul dies... (follow up to "Cleansing Machines")

A Drozd annedrozd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 15:22:35 BST 2005

I don't want to sound like i've got some sympathy here
with dodgy "Let God sort 'em out" politics. But on my
not being enough social services provision available
for an overwhelming amount of "need". The "needy"
being those users of the services because of the
social problems they happen to have.

In this follow up, i'm not so much rethinking my views
as reasserting the crux of the problem. For me, in my
small world but also in view of the bigger picture,
that problem centres around drugs.

Previously, my utterings about living in the flat
beneath a woman with a long history of hard drug use
who's reality has become totally out of control... i
laid some of the blame on her mental health team for
not intervening and allowing her to go ever so
gradually downhill. Sectioning someone who obviously
is in such a distressed state (but who so obviously
does NOT want that form of conditional help) was
probably a bit naive on my part. Looking at this
ongoing situation realistically, i can confirm she IS
asking for help (she's often heard asking,
shouting/screaming for help) but is so far in her own
hell that she can not find the help she needs except
for in the form of a bottle, a punter, a phone call to
her dealer - In short a multitide of addictions.

"Days reduced to nothing, only desire is to feed.
Satiate the craving and let the cancers breed".

The offy is open all the time and dealers at the end
of the phone work just about flexi-time, even on bank
holidays. Social services may be supplied courtesy of
the taxpayer on behalf of the NHS but you have to wait
a couple of weeks for an assessment. Even on an
emergency basis you're left waiting for 6 hours or
something for the out-of-hours team (and like anyone
knows even with something "physical" like an
achey-leg, once you get into the doctors sugery - the
pain soon dissappears). Meanwhile, around the corner,
the 24hr so-near-so SPAR offers ongoing therapy and
medication needs to the tune of whatever you have left
in your pocket.

"A life spent consuming poisons - the slow suicide of
modern man".

So, (apologies if this is just seen as a rant, using
up time and spamming the list...) my question has
become more of a Do People Really Want Help or Are
They Happy In Their Shit? more than Why Isn't Someone
Doing Something To Help Them, anyway. It's probably
always been the case that people can only help
themselves, just that i haven't always been around, so
i come to the conclusion that Thatcherist-age
consumerism is responsible for the miserable-age that
many of us are presently living in.

Peoples' lives have been reduced to a plastic "half
life", forced to inhabit a world of mindless trends.
This is especially true for those who don't have any
stake or security in this world - their particular
mindless trend ends up being the most self
destructive. I feel, there is an hipocrisy here in
that those who do have a stake and interest in this
society are dabbling in the same poisonous shit as
those underclass, except that they have comfort and
security (luxury and hipocrisy). Of course, we're all
as bad as each other, consuming the same crap but some
come off worse than others. In all this we have to
realise that most homeless people would, given the
chance, leave their life of struggling to scrape a few
quid together to buy sore more shit AND INSTEAD swap
it for a life where they felt more in control, where
they could consume probably more alcohol and stuff but
in a safer, hypocritical environment (with a few cars
thrown in there, etc.)

"The followers of false leaders, have chosen the
easiest course".

Surrendering our personal autonomy to a State, a
doctor, a psychotherapist, etc. stops us having to
think. Maybe the more professionals a society has,
then the more dumbed down the general populace
becomes. It helps if those professionals keep it real
though and understand where the plebs are coming from,
taking into account all the genuine concerns,
misconceptions, even superstitions that these plebs so
often have - unenlightened, uneducated and
impoverished that they are.

Maybe, a lot of people who find themselves in
circumstances of homelessness, substance addiction,
etc. don't want the big house, big car and expendable
income. Maybe they've partly got into the lower rungs
of society because they're rejecting the shit that we
all know is shit. Unfortuantely they become even
bigger victims of the consumerist shit machine,
choosing a form of "slow suicide" where in actual fact
they may want to live but, not in this present
society. Their choice leaves them to hang around,
waiting perhaps for change to come from above (i do
agree that this is how society will affect social
change, i.e. change from above) and, ultimately, their
bodies live on rotting as their souls die.

"It's your life it's your choice, to hock your gems
for rocks and dust. And I can't blame you for your
utter weakness. But you can't blame me for my
disgust"...

***************

I don't really get off on this whole negative writing
experience and do feel that one thing we can do is
make ethical choices for our consumer needs. There,
that feels positive! here's another:

"Maybe, it’s not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate"

* The quotes throughout this 'rant' are lyrics taken
from Path Of Resistance's "Who Dares Wins" LP on
Victory Records (sounds dodgy but trust me, we're not
talking Blood and Honour stuff here!)

** except for the last quote which is taken from
Ozzy's "Crazy Train".

Sad, eh?