[ssf] The Register's coverage on ID cards

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Oct 19 16:30:31 BST 2005

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/19/daugman_multi_biometrics/
and
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/17/mcnulty_fingers_id_problem/

"A regular correspondent (thanks, you know who you are) points us to some
calculations by John Daugman, originator of the Daugman algorithms for iris
recognition. These ought to provide disturbing reading for Home Office
Ministers who casually claim that by using multiple biometrics you'll get a
better result than by using just the one. Although that may seem logical, it
turns out that it it isn't, necessarily."

and

"While we're about it, we couldn't resist McNulty's comments on The Politics
Show in defence of Home Office dawn raids on asylum seekers: "We are not
knocking down doors at four in the morning with people booted and suited in
riot gear. Most of the removals occur around half-five, half-six, seven in the
morning." So presumably the borderline between free democracy and police state
lies somewhere between the hours of 4am and 5.30am. Does freedom get a longer
lie-in at weekends?"

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily