[ssf] [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] Ghandi quote on STWC website..

Adam Moran adam at diamat.org.uk
Fri Apr 7 15:13:43 BST 2006

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:17:30 +0000 (GMT) NORTHLLAW wrote:

> Ghandi was a British trained lawyer so he knew about anti slavery laws in
> British law ... he never seemed to mention about the ones in India.

Ayup - I did a couple of law degrees up in Leeds -- It's a lovely City
-- one in the centre and the second one on the Headingley Campus. I've
put some course notes at the end.

Fri,  7 Apr 2006 11:48:41 +0100 (BST) NORTHLLAW wrote:

> All the Stalinist and Fascist tendencies have been and still are manifestations
> of the Utopian understanding, all their ideologies originated from within the
> 'petty bourgeois', political and religious, the 'little citizen' and their need
> for a 'state'.

You seem to have the Uto-pianists pegged. I'm under the influence of
Edmund Wilson on this issue and consider the Comte de Saint-Simon as a
prototype of the movement of equalitarians and collectivists that came
to prominence in the first part of the 19th Century:

   "The propertied classes must be made to understand that an improvement
    in the condition of the poor will mean an improvement in their
    condition, too; the *savants* must be shown that their interests are
    identical with those of the masses. Why not go straight to the
    people? - he makes an interlocutor in his dialogue. Because we must
    try to prevent them from resorting to violence against their
    governments; we must try to persuade the other class first."

    Commentary on *The New Christianity* -- To the Findland Station.

What do you think of the Reformists ? I've been reading a fair bit of
stuff by the Bentham, Mills and Son partnership recently. But this is
the only quote I've got on me:

   "How vast is the number of men, in any great country, who are a little
    higher than brutes ... This never prevents them from being able,
    through the laws of marriage, to obtain a victim ... The vilest
    malefactor has some wretched women tied to him against whom he can
    commit any atrocity except killing her -- and even that he can do
    without too much danger of legal penalty."

Sat, 18 Mar 2006 04:44:16 -0000 (GMT) NORTHLLAW wrote:

> learning from NLP, 2 for price of one, Blair and Brown, 2 prime minister in
> one election.
> not sure where u suposed to shove 'em like.

It's a joke, in it ?

I hear that the NLP intend to change the name of Downing St. to
Coronation St. as part of their Change Management Strategy (TM).

<course-notes>

*Making use of Everyday Amnesia and Dissociations for Anesthesia*

Utilizing a Patient's Interests to Distract and Fixate Attention in
Emergency Surgery and Cesarean Section; Bifurcated Voice Tone and
Surgical Hand Movements

     Now these amnesias, these hypermnesias, are awfully important
considerations in dealing with patients. In this manner of dissociation,
it is a rather easy thing to forget where you are in ordinary day life.
You can be reading a suspense story and forget all about a lot of
things. You can go to a suspense movie, and to make yourself comfortable
( if you happen to wear dresses ), you kick off your shoes to be
comfortable while you look at the suspense movie. And then you start to
walk out and suddenly remember, "Oh, where are my shoes ?" Then you
start scrambling around trying to find your shoes. You haven't been
thinking about those shoes for a long, long time. Where have you been ?
You have been up there on the screen, perhaps participating.

     Haven't you ever been in a movie theater where someone in the
audience suddenly yelled, "Look out !" to the hero. That hero was very,
very real, and they forgot that there was an audience. And having
yelled, "Look out !", they feel terribly embarrassed, because they have
a totally different sort of situation.

     The matter of dissociation is a very common thing. I think that in
the therapeutic situation -- whether it is a dental one or a
psychological situation, a psychiatric one, [or] whether it is a general
practitioner's office -- you ought to be willing to make use of
dissociation as a very common thing, and you make use of dissociation in
a wealth of ways. How can you make use of dissociation in a wealth of ways ?

     The general practitioner says to his patient: "We have a serious
laceration of the hand." It is resting on the surgical table and the
general practitioner says: "You notice that picture of the wheat field
over there. How many different ways can you tell me exactly how that is
a wheat field ? I think it is a good painting, and it really is a good
painting, but how did the artist really capture the appearance of a
wheat field ? Wheat bends in a certain way in the wind; wheat carries a
certain visual quality as you look at it. And as you study this picture,
how near ripe is the wheat ? How near harvest time ? What do you really
think about the wheat ? Was it sown too heavily, too thickly ? Was the
soil properly fertilized ? Is it poor soil ?"

     As the farmer studies the wheat field, the general practitioner
ought to be rather busy putting the sutures in that arm. He has got his
patient dissociated and recalling every one of his memories, ideas, and
concepts of what a wheat field really looks like -- how one senses
wheat, and really studying that particular thing. As the farmer studies
it, the general practitioner can handle the injured hand very nicely,
very gently; and he is still running off at the mouth about those
questions about the wheat field !

     I think you all ought to see Ralph August's picture made by UpJohn
about a Cesarean operation under hypnosis -- hypnosis being the only
anesthetic. Ralph August, as he does the Cesarean there, is talking to
the patient, and he is doing very careful surgical work. And as you
listen to Ralph August in the movie, you literally feel his presence.
You hear his voice. You know if you watch and listen to him with a
critical ear, that he is talking somewhat automatically, that he has
made up his mind [that] he is going to say things that are going to be
of interest to his patient. In other words, he has a wide acquaintance
with the ideas of interest to his patient. But he also has a wide
acquaintance with surgery, and he is well aware of the fact that one can
talk very easily and very comfortably while one is really giving his
attention to exactly taking hold of this particular bit of tissue and
attaching it to that particular piece of tissue.

     Yet all the time Ralph August was talking to the patient, it was
[with] one tone of voice. And if you watched his hands, there was
another tonus of movement that was not in accord with the tonus of the
organs of speech. It is a very delightful film to watch, and it is an
extremely instructive one to watch. I hope every one of you will watch
that film and note the difference between August's tone of voice in the
way he talks to the patient, and the appropriateness of the things he
says, and the totally different rhythm of his hand movements, and the
way he reaches for something and the way he takes hold of something
while he is asking the patient: "Would you like to sing now ? And what
would you like to sing about ? Are things going well ? How do you feel ?"

     There are two levels of conversation that Ralph August carries on
with the patient, and does so very nicely; and when he speaks to an
assistant of his, there is a third tone of voice that comes into play.
Now, that film was done very, very nicely. UpJohn and Company produces
it about a year ago and have shown it to about 40,000 physicians upon
request. It is one they like to loan out to companies, to any medical
group, and it is worth any body's attention to see that film. I'm pretty
certain that if this group were to write, UpJohn and Company would be
very glad to let you see it.

</course-notes>